Cooking a ham off of a pig

Discussion in 'Cooking, Grilling, BBQ, and Recipes' started by Tony Harris, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Tony Harris

Tony Harris Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi Staff Member

I would like to try cooking a ham off the next pig I kill but have no idea how to do it. I would like to pepper the heck out of it. Anyone ever cook a wild pig ham?

2. speedygman

speedygman Well-Known Member

I smoked (2) of them over Labor Day weekend and they turned out awesome; first time I'd ever tried it and my wife swears it was some of the best BBQ she'd ever had. Neighbors didn't complain, either.

I found a rub recipe online that sounded pretty good to me. Rubbed down the hams and left in the fridge over night. Fired up a large smoker with hickory and cooked for about 4 hours at 200 degrees. Removed from the smoker, wrapped in foil, returned to the smoker for another 4-5 hours at 200 degrees. You don't need to use hickory for the second part of cooking, gas heat will work just fine. Let them sit for about 30 or 45 mins then start eating.

3. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

Have done it many times........used a rub and put on the smoker at 200-225* for about 4 hours, then wrapped in foil and covered with BBQ sauce for another 2-4 hrs depending on the size of the ham.........

another way is to inject the ham with pineapple juice and the cook same as above, except when wrapped in foil, don't use the BBQ sauce, baste it with pineapple juice and lau some pineapple rings on the ham itself.......a little like a regular store bought ham...turned out great!!

4. speedygman

speedygman Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention one important thing on mine - fill a spray bottle with apple juice and give it a good dosing every 30 mins or so (before you wrap in foil).

5. antler3

antler3 Well-Known Member

Never tried it before. But had a guy tell me that he soaked his in blueberries before smoking ...