Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bite is on! I've heard of some folks catching redears, but I don't know where, how well, or how many. I braved the rain yesterday evening, and by the time I got my first cricket on the hook it let up. I motored up to some lilly pads in 3-4' of water and caught bream almost every time I had at least part of a cricket left on the hook. It sprinkled a few times, and it seemed like when it would start sprinkling they would tear it up. I lost several that wrapped around lilly pads, but kept 29 - a few small ones, but most were pretty good size. Not bad for about 90 minutes of fishing!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey Wes. I know where the red ear are but it is a deep dark secret that will never be told. My team of 3 took off one afternoon a couple of weeks ago and caught 109 red ear in about 3 hours. BIG UNS! At least 4 or 5 lbs each. Okay I may be stretching the truth a bit on the size but they were big. We threw most of the big bluegill back since the red ear were biting so good. We hope to go again Friday.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All 29 of 'em...

My cat loves the smell of fish, but she won't touch 'em. She's a city kitty.

Hey Bill! It just so happens I have Friday off! :wink: :wink: :nudge: :nudge:

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Wes,

The father in-law and I caught 70 last Tuesday here in the neighborhood pond. We kept 16 of the bigger ones. I need to catch some more and have a fish fry for him once the heart doc says he can eat fried fish again.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No redear in the bunch Jerry. But I hope to remedy that this weekend :up:

It's great that they're so close Hudge! You ever get a hankerin' for some Conway bream, lemme know. I can always find 'em...long as they're in the same spot where I caught these :lol:

·
Super Moderator
9,835 Posts
Im gonna have to take some time and make one of those trips pretty soon.
I'm gonna have to give FB my cell phone number...

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Fellas, I live real close to Lake Conway. I am getting ready to try and put the smack down on the readears. I have a "secret" bait that I discovered (actually I was put on to) two years ago that they absolutely love. It's an artificial bait so no crickets are needed. I'll let you know if they still hit it as well as they have the past two years.....:biggrin:

·
Registered
11,456 Posts
Never fished Conway but always daydream about drowning some crickets every time I pass by there on the interstate.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to do some perch jerkin' this year. I never went the first time last year.
Might possibly set out some yo-yo's and a trotline or two this Friday night so that's a start. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
My two OF fishing buddies and I kept about 100 yesterday afternoon. Most were Bluegills that you just could get your hand around. There were a few Redears in the bunch. Released Bass , Crappie, Long ear Sunfish , Green Sunfish, and Warmouth. Takes awhile to fillet that many too!:rolleyes:
This was on a secret lake a few miles from home. We used Rockhoppers (weighted flies) under a cork. They bit best when we tipped the fly with a chartruse Crappie Nibble.:thumb:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Fellas, I live real close to Lake Conway. I am getting ready to try and put the smack down on the readears. I have a "secret" bait that I discovered (actually I was put on to) two years ago that they absolutely love. It's an artificial bait so no crickets are needed. I'll let you know if they still hit it as well as they have the past two years.....:biggrin:
This may be a stupid question ? Whats the secret???????

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Try Rockhoppers tipped with Crappie nibbles under a cork. We also use Pink plastic Trout worms on a tiny leadhead under a cork. Tore them up today again on a waterdshed lake. We have used the same baits on Conway in the past.:up:

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BillF. took me out in his boat Friday looking for some redear. We didn't tear them up, but we kept 25 eatin' size bream. I think 6-8 were redears, and a couple were pretty nice sized. Thanks for the trip Bill!

I took my father-in-law back to that spot Saturday morning. We fished for a couple of hours and kept 19 BIG bream, but no readear. He was mostly looking for crappie though.

That's 73 we've caught over the 3 trips. I'm running out of places to bury the scraps!

·
Registered
937 Posts
I caught 18 or so myself sunday mostly redears on a black and chartruse jig,gonna go back with some black bettle's and some crickets in the morning.. :thumb:

I had a guy tell me that you can scale those suckers with an air compressor... Is he full of chit? :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.