Controlled Burns in Wilderness Areas?

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by Hobbshunter, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Anyone know if they use controlled burns in National Forest Wilderness Areas, or is that against the fed rules?

2. AR Coon Hunter

AR Coon Hunter Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi

They do. They got nearly 15,000 acres around our cabin in White Rock WMA last year. it's supposed to be on a 3yr plan. The did part of our place too. I love it nothing but good for the deer wild vegitation popped up everywhere it's awesome except for the green briars lol.

3. GOBBLERSTOPPER

GOBBLERSTOPPER Well-Known Member

Don't ever let someone tell you that a control burn will run game out of the area. I once was driving through a refuge they had just burned earlier in the day and I watched turkeys chasing bugs I assumed that had been hiding in the deeper layers of the leaves or soil and were now exposed to the turkeys. They were having a field day chasing bugs, they basically ignored me as I sat in my truck watching them..

4. Hitman35

Hitman35 Active Member

They do and it seems like it is always during the turkey hatch around my parts. It makes for some low turkey numbers for years to come

5. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

They burned some off in Winona week before gun season

6. Hobbshunter

NWA
    Cool. I hope they've been doing some. I'm hoping to check some wilderness areas out for future hunts, and I was wondering what the situation might be like with the ice storm damage.

I know on Hobbs (where they burned last year), it helps with that debris, but it doesnt totally get rid of it.

7. REM870

REM870 Account Suspended

im all for it just not during turkey season when they are laying eggs or after for amonth or so. So dumb to burn in late march and april, but i see it time and time again in the national forest. THANKS FOR BURNING THE TURKEYS UP NATIONAL FOREST PEOPLE IN CHARGE

8. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

We had that happen this spring. We went over near the buffalo river for a turkey camp and when we got there the whole place was on fire. We still heard a few birds, but they had half the place shut off to hunting opening weekend of season. Made no sense to me at all.

9. cbradley

cbradley Well-Known Member

Wilderness Areas and WMA's are not the same...... Im almost certain that Wilderness areas are left as nature would have it - no logging, no burns, no motorized vehicles, no roads (there are old trails from before they were declared Wilderness areas), etc. Some of the wilderness areas lie within WMA borders, so burning and logging could occur around the edges but not inside the wilderness area.

10. Hobbshunter

NWA
    That's what I was wondering as well.
    I did do a little internet searching later yesterday, and I think they do some burning in Wilderness Areas. Looks like there's maybe some extra hoops to jump through.

11. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if the regulations have changed since I retired. Before I retired the Forest Service did not set off prescribed burns in Wilderness areas.
    However there was a policy that if a fire was started naturally (such as lightning starts) it could be allowed to burn if the conditions of the forest fuel, weather, etc was such that catastrophic damage did not occur.
    This policy was in place when the National Park Service let a natural burn in Yellowstone turn into a disaster in 1988.
    I'll see if I can research this interesting question. :thumb:

12. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

It's my understanding if a Wilderness Area catches fire, they will not take motorized equipment into the area to fight it. I may be wrong though.

BDW, weigh in on this and help us!

13. PapaBear

PapaBear Well-Known Member

For information on Wilderness Areas by state, with boundaries superimposed on aerial and topo maps you can go to www.wilderness.net.

14. Sylamore

That is correct and it has always been that way in the Wilderness Fire Guidelines. There is also a requirement that evidence of the fire control lines had to eradicated and the evidence of the presence of man eliminated. But developed hiking trails were OK!
    The tree huggers really pushed a lot of crap into the Wilderness Management Regulations, especially in the Eastern half of the United States. JMHO! :thumb:

15. REM870

REM870 Account Suspended

they are trying here as well. love trail vs no wheelers, crying sham i tell you

16. D

D Well-Known Member

I was there in June of 88 and saw the fires in their early stages just outside the park. The fires were thought to be a disaster back then and have since then been discovered to be much needed and VERY benifical. I think many of the people who thought it had ruined the park have changed their minds after seeing it now. There has even been talk of doing more controlled burns within the park.

If you have never been GO! That is one the most AWESOME places on earth.

17. miketyson26

miketyson26 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

killed my turkey season...

I hunted around White Rock last year for turkey season. And there were still trees burning as I walked around. It completely ruined my turkey season.

Miketyson26 :flag:

18. Sylamore

I was also in Yellowstone during the 1988 fire. I worked on that fire about 38 days and it was awesome. It will recover. Control burning is controversial and probably always be. :thumb:

19. Joey Simmons

Joey Simmons Well-Known Member

They burned part of the warren prairie natural area last year and this year it has a covey of quail where they burned at last year.. had 8 birds and i only shot one

20. I wish I could set a match to some parts of my leases.....