Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a clue why the National Forestery People are conducting control burns this time of yr in the Quachita's? It has to effect nesting hens in addition to other birds and animals reproduction efforts. Over the past couple of weeks they've control burned thousands of acres north of the Lake, and we wonder why there are not as many turkeys as there used to be.:censored:

·
Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<
7,279 Posts
Does anyone have a clue why the National Forestery People are conducting control burns this time of yr in the Quachita's? It has to effect nesting hens in addition to other birds and animals reproduction efforts. Over the past couple of weeks they've control burned thousands of acres north of the Lake, and we wonder why there are not as many turkeys as there used to be.:censored:
They have done this for years now. It burns up tons of nest every year.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I think I read where they plan to cook 18,000 acres in Arkansas this year.

Pa-in-law would love for them to control-burn his place, but absolutely NOT whilst his turkeys are on the nest!

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
If you are looking for a real answer don't hold your breath. Their name says it all, Forest Service. That is all they are concerned with obviously, since everyone knows turkeys are on the nest now. Why the AGFC hasn't lobbied them to hold off...wait they said it only affects a few turkey and does no harm to the population. After a season in No Gobbling Winona I think they are full of BS.

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
If you are looking for a real answer don't hold your breath. Their name says it all, Forest Service. That is all they are concerned with obviously, since everyone knows turkeys are on the nest now. Why the AGFC hasn't lobbied them to hold off...wait they said it only affects a few turkey and does no harm to the population. After a season in No Gobbling Winona I think they are full of BS.
Yeah, and we are penalized with shorter later seasons that do not concur with peak gobbling and breeding cycles b/c of these questionable types of decisions. The new growth from the burns will be great for the wildlife, but if you burn the future wildlife up, why even bother?:smack: With all the AGFC talk about poor recent harvest data being due to poor hatches, why would they not raise cain when the hatch is being burned up? This in turn, burns me up!!!

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
Sadly, the AGFC is Powerless over what the FS does. AGFC is State, Forest Service is Federal. Federal doesn't listen to state agencies.

And as was stated before. The name says it all. Forest Service.
They dont care about wildlife.

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
Well just think about what is happening to your bass spawn with em dropping Ouahita everyday now for the past few weeks- about the same effect! I bet a heck of allot of eggs got dried up!

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
They opened Zone 17 back up before it was over. Imagine that.
Tony I bet that SHOCKED you about as much as it did me!:cool: I was talking to a feller that hunts zone 17 with a former commisioner, he said 1 of the members had already killed 3 gobblers,, funny I said since our limit is 2, he quickly pointed out 1 or 2 were killed on the mississippi side he thought!:banghead:

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2011-2012
801 Posts
:head: Yea its as stupid as it gets.A year ago they did it at white rock and my couisin was watching 2 turkey nest. And when he went back the next weekend guess what."toasted"

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
443 Posts
They did the same thing up at White Rock this year. Did it the first Monday of season just past Shores Lake. They burned the same area year before last on opening weekend.

·
3,605 Posts
Contact your state rep. and let them know how you feel about it.

The G+F can't do a thing about it.

The forest service is being nothing more than a way for politicians and thier brother-in-laws to make BIG money. We lose millions of taxpayer dollars every year on timber operations. Prescribed burning alone cost over 40 MILLION dollars per year.

·
Super Moderator
9,835 Posts
They do it in the Ozarks too. They burn the crap outta great turkey territory where I'm sure hens are sitting on nests...

But you know, it's not the burning that causes a poor hatch...it's the flooding...:smack:

:banghead: :mad:

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
This is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed!!!!! It is ridiculous the strain these burns put on the turkey population. Does anyone know if the forest service follows the same burn schedules in Missouri, Tennessee, etc.? Turkeys are already fighting an uphill battle with surviving all the predators they have to tend with, it sure is a shame that such neglect from "educated" men further the damage. One would think that the Federal & State agencies could get on the same page.

Maybe we should form an alliance. We could name it P.E.T.A., which could stand for People Enraged by Turkey Arsonists. What do you think? :head:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.