Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
21,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas on a good compac weapon to carry concealed. Something thats very dependable, yet not sky high in cost. Also a caliber thats not real expensive on ammo. And I know all ammo has went up. Maybe carry on ankle, or small of back at times.

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
About the hottest selling concealable gun right now is the Ruger LCP:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCP/

I'm not a real fan of the .380 round, but it beats throwing rocks. Another one that I can personally recommend is the Kel-tec P-11:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=83339

I like a light, fist-sized gun that carries 11 rounds of 9MM. Mine goes with me nearly everywhere I go. It was rough at first, but some serious polishing and light tuning and it shoots everytime, and more accurately than you might think.

· Registered
898 Posts
I have a glock 19 that is sometimes on my hip when I am wearing a jacket. Awesome gun. That being said, +90% of the time I carry my Kel Tec PF9. I have the belt clip, but also have a thin hoster for outside the pant carry. I have a 4000+ serial number. I hear that the pre 2500 ones had issues. I have never had an issue with mine. A dream to carry and easy on the pocketbook.

Some folks will swear you need more than 7 shots of 9mm. I would agree that more gun is better. But, I have a strong theory, that the vast majority of .40 and .45 handguns never leave the house.

Whatever you pick, make sure you get something you will realistically carry with you and not leave at the house or in the car. Good luck and have fun shopping for your new iron.

· Registered
2,886 Posts
Research these:

Glock 26 (Rather Pricey)
Kahr PM9 (Most expensive but very well reviewed)
Taurus PT-111 Millenium Pro ( I own this one...great ergonomics and cheap)
Kel-Tec PF9 (I know alot of folks who use this one as thier go to summer concealed gun...and it's cheap!)

Just some ideas for you to kick around!

· Registered
4,120 Posts
I live with a .45 anytime I'm not on duty... and would then, but I have an issued G22 .40.

If I were looking for a good, solid, reliable carry gun and didn't want a huge investment, and wanted to be able to find reasonably priced ammo; I'd go with the Kel-Tec PF9 and a spare magazine. IWB, ankle or even pocket carry in cargo shorts and you're good to go.

I like 115gr 9BPLE from Federal to feed the nine's, but I agree the weight of the 147's can be of value!! Just shoot anything you carry enough to know what is relaible in YOUR gun.... they are not all the same, even if they are identical; they can all be ammo specific!

Next up would be either a S&W K frame or a "baby" Glock. There are beau-coup S&W J-frames out there and they are excellent guns.. I love them! All of them!!! But they are just not as easy to shoot accurately as a K-frame. Thus, my selection of K over J. And when you need a gun, you had best be able to hit with it!

· Premium Member
18,386 Posts
S&W J Frame is what I carry 90% of the time.

I am also a big fan of the Kahr polymer guns. Easy to carry and the ones I've had and shot were great! I still have a P40 that sees use in the winter months.

· Registered
827 Posts
Concealed

My wife and I like a 38 special with a hammer shroud or hammerless. She likes a Kahr PM9 (9mm as it is smoth featured (NO edges to catch on.) Hammerless and is basically a double action as there is no safety to worry about. Just pull the trigger. It is very small and fits in a pocket easily. Aout the size of a dollar bill. If you would like to try a Kahr give me a mail and we can meet at a range.

http://alamodefense.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=54

Note that it is all black and all corners are rounded.

· Registered
827 Posts
I live with a .45 anytime I'm not on duty... and would then, but I have an issued G22 .40.
Recently I went to the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame Museum. They started issung 45 revolvers a long time ago and a good majority of the pistols of recent vintage are 1911 style 45's. (Very ornate to plain Jane.) I'm sure they carry and it may be an interesting question to ask of them to receive more insight.

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
If autos are what you like, the Kahr, Kel-tek, Little Ruger, and the Walther pp series should keep you busy shopping for a while! I'm headed to Sportsman's wharehouse in a few minutes, I'll see what's hot and what's not.

I love shopping for guns even when I'm not shopping for guns! :flag::clap:

· Grand Member
16,548 Posts
Kahr CW9 is what I've got, dependable, fairly small and the weight ( 15.8 ozs) is nice for carry.It has 7 and 8 shot clips. I've run about 500 round through it so far without a hickup.

· Registered
4,120 Posts
At the expense of sounding like a D to the I and CK, let me throw this out... No matter what you decide to carry... BE CONCEALED!! Stay CONCEALED and live CONCEALED!!

Concealed carry means just that ... concealed!

Dude, I know you; and I have no doubt about you! But too many rookie cops and first year CCW holders have a really tough time when it comes to the first premise of concealed carry. It is almost like they want to be seen as carrying a gun! Maybe it is some kind of testosterone thing... I don't know... but some folks have a tendancy to be "flash-dancers"!!!

You can spot them anywhere you go if you look. They are constantly touching their weapon, like it is going to just up and move around on them! That or they actually make a point of "flashing" that they have a gun! Either way it is NOT COOL!!! And it sends me over the edge!!

I am a huge proponent of concealed carry... and most folks accept the responsiblity that it takes.... but others have it just to fill some kind of insecurity, or other complex that makes them feel better when other people see them with a weapon!!

Be as deeply concealed with any handgun you carry that you can actually access! It is useless if you can't get to it when you need it. But it is even worse when you have no immediate need for it but every single person around you knows it is there!! That alone can cost you a revocation of your permit... and you may never get it back!!

I know I preach this in this area every year...... but it is important!

I don't want us to lose this "right"......

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.