Arkansas Hunting banner

Concealed carry for wife

2K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Buckrub 
#1 ·
Momma can shoot my glock 26 really good. But doesn't shoot a lot. Too many stupid people around so I'm in the market to buy her some heat to carry when daddy is away. So what's the way to go, automatic? Revolver? .25, .380, .38??? What do y'all let yours tote? Not looking to stop a 300lb man in his tracks, but want him to know he's getting shot too!
What y'all got.

#4 ·
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but you'd be way ahead of the game to let her pick out her own. It needs to be something she can handle and is comfortable shooting.

That said, today's 9mm platforms are small and comfortable. Plenty out there to choose from. We like the Shield and I've got an inexpensive Taurus G2 Millennium she likes as well.

#5 ·
I know it isn't the most popular choice these days, but for someone such as your wife, I'd recommend a S&W J-frame revolver. You can get them that handle both 38 & 357 mag. Simpler to operate and dead nuts reliable. Pull the trigger and it WILL GO BANG. No feed issues to clear or operational idiosyncrasies. The big knock on revolvers is lack of capacity. Very seldom does that come into play in the real world. Bottom line is find what she is most comfortable and accurate with and take her practicing with you.

#8 ·
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but you'd be way ahead of the game to let her pick out her own. It needs to be something she can handle and is comfortable shooting.
^^This. Take her to a range that has rental guns, or get together as wide a variety of different choices as possible, and let her choose the one she shoots best that is also reliable.

I know it isn't the most popular choice these days, but for someone such as your wife, I'd recommend a S&W J-frame revolver. You can get them that handle both 38 & 357 mag. Simpler to operate and dead nuts reliable. Pull the trigger and it WILL GO BANG. No feed issues to clear or operational idiosyncrasies. The big knock on revolvers is lack of capacity. Very seldom does that come into play in the real world. Bottom line is find what she is most comfortable and accurate with and take her practicing with you.
^ NOT this (other than the last sentence), unless she tries one out & shoots it far better than anything else. J-frame snubbies are not "ladies' guns", they are experienced shooters' guns. Their short barrel & sight radius, long trigger reach & heavy pull, and muzzle blast (esp with .357 mags) make them extremely difficult for new shooters to hit anything with, much less shoot well. And there have been plenty of real-world shootings where 5 rounds weren't enough to get the job done. Are revolvers reliable? Of course. But so is your G26, or any other quality semi-auto. And if you think she'll have trouble clearing a malfunction in an auto, then good luck with her reloading a revolver under stress. The truth is, women can learn to run a handgun (auto or revolver) very well with the right instruction. But that means finding an instructor that has experience teaching women, and then staying out of the way & letting her learn. Because odds are she's going to listen to them a lot better than she will to her husband.

My main question is, if she already likes your G26 & shoots it well, why aren't you just getting her her own G26?

#9 ·
My wife has a Ruger LC9 but I came across a LLAMA .380 micromax and now she has taken it from me. The LLAMA is a nice pistola and the .380 doesn't buck and carry on as much as the 9mm. The .380 is more or less a 9mm short and it will keep boogers off of you too...d2

#10 ·
You need to have Mrs Chapmanner call Mrs Weld. She has been carring for over 10 years and has shot several different platforms and various calibers. Revolvers, several different semi autos. Everything from a 22 up to a 45. The main thing is to find Mrs Chapmanner something she is comfortable shooting so she will practice. Mrs Weld hated shooting the snubby 38 I got her, and she refused to carry it. Yall need to pack up that herd of kids and come out to the mountain so she can shoot a few different guns. You buy the ribs and I will smoke them!

#12 ·

That said, today's 9mm platforms are small and comfortable. Plenty out there to choose from. We like the Shield and I've got an inexpensive Taurus G2 Millennium she likes as well.
I have the same Taurus and it shoots extremely well for a $250 gun. I have shot 1000+ rounds through it the last 6 months and like it a lot with no issues.

#14 ·
I'll second the warning on the J Frame. Unless your wife shoots a lot or is real familiar with handguns, she won't like it. I love mine and carry it often, but that loooonnnggg trigger pull, lack of sights (other than a groove), and the recoil aren't for a novice shooter.

#16 ·
^ NOT this (other than the last sentence), unless she tries one out & shoots it far better than anything else. J-frame snubbies are not "ladies' guns", they are experienced shooters' guns. Their short barrel & sight radius, long trigger reach & heavy pull, and muzzle blast (esp with .357 mags) make them extremely difficult for new shooters to hit anything with, much less shoot well. And there have been plenty of real-world shootings where 5 rounds weren't enough to get the job done. Are revolvers reliable? Of course. But so is your G26, or any other quality semi-auto. And if you think she'll have trouble clearing a malfunction in an auto, then good luck with her reloading a revolver under stress. The truth is, women can learn to run a handgun (auto or revolver) very well with the right instruction. But that means finding an instructor that has experience teaching women, and then staying out of the way & letting her learn. Because odds are she's going to listen to them a lot better than she will to her husband.

I agree. My wife and daughter shoot the G19/26 a LOT better than the small framed revolvers. One reason is the long heavy trigger pull for every shot on the revolver, the other is just that they both have small hands and just reaching the trigger on the revolver is a problem. My daughter is 4' 11" and shoots the G26 like it was made for her hand.

My main question is, if she already likes your G26 & shoots it well, why aren't you just getting her her own G26?
You save me typing that same statement.

#19 ·
Look at a revolvers without hammers. These guns will give her the advantage of keeping the weapon in her purse or pocket in hand and ready to shoot if a situation comes up that looks risky without showing the gun. Also this type of weapon is unlikely to jam if discharged from inside a pocket or bag.

#20 ·
Hasn't been mentioned yet but I'll throw out the Sig p-238 recommendation (to try). It's basically built like a mini 1911. In the 380 caliber its a very easy carry and smooth shooter. Gonna cost a little more than cheaper options but like many things in life you get what you pay for.

#22 ·
My wife has the Taurus PT in .380 and carries everyday. The best advice on here is to let her decide. I let mine shoot the G26, Springfield XDM and the G19 all in .40, as you can imagine she did not like any of those. Finally I started her out on my buck mark .22 just to get her use to holding, aiming and shooting without the excessive recoil. She picked out the Taurus on her own, wanted something more than the .22 and defiantly less than a .40 . Not to mention, I really like that the slide locks open when the last round is fired, she drops the spent clip, reloads and the slide closes with the full clip inserted, no need to work the action.

#23 ·
My wife wants the Ruger LCR.

I'm with her.......I'm about done with pistols. We are admittedly revolver people! Thus, it is what it is!!! I want one too.......but 1K large is a bit much for two of 'em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.