Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
I don’t know man.
Demi Morre whooped some dudes butt on GI Jane.
Lol, true dat!
I see people all the time with their range rat street cred roll in talking a big talk. Then they wilt like lettuce when it's crunch time. Keep it simple. Everyone thinks they are a bad azz until it's time to do bad azz things. My advice is sound for men and woman. No safety and no exposed hammer. Get a gun you can handle. Sorry I ain't showering with flowers, with the feel good crap. You would think this was a life or death discussion by the way I'm going on.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Let her try some guns. Her her what SHE wants, not what you want. If you pick it out and she doesn’t like it she won’t carry it or shoot it.

What I wanted my wife to get and what she ended up with were 2 different guns. Since she picked it out she practices with it.
^^^This right here. No telling how many well-intentioned husbands bought a gun for heir wife only to have it never see the light of day.

·
Registered
30,125 Posts
Little sister don’t miss when she aims her gun.

Got the wife unit a hammerless airweight 38. It’ll shoot the +Ps…. Loves it. And after I saw how well she handled/shot it, I told the girlfriends to hit the bricks.
Wow. I coulda wrote that! :love::D;);)

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
I would like her to get a semi auto but with her Ks k of eco figure a revolver will probably be best.
Can you explain what you meant here? Having trouble deciphering the typo.

I'm going to end up echoing a lot of the other things that have already been said here, but first I want to start with the most important question that overrules everything else: is she/would she be capable of shooting another human being to protect herself/someone else? It may seem like a silly question, but the fact is not everyone is capable of that level of violence. I have had people (both male and female) tell me they want to get their CHCL, but that they only wanted it to "scare someone off" because they didn't want to or think they'd be able to actually shoot someone. I tell those people they shouldn't be considering carrying a gun at all, and try to steer them towards things like pepper spray/empty hand fighting classes/etc. So: is she the kind of person who could actually shoot someone if necessary?

·
Registered
30,125 Posts
After reading some of the descriptions of yours over the years, it reminded me a lot of mine, we may be married-in kin of some kind BRub. I’ll look for you at the reunion.
Hey! Grand Half Step Neighbor in Laws!!!

Mine is different. LOTS different. She spent half the day yesterday on her computer helping me search for a fishing Guide for Headwater Lake down here. We found one that had ONE day unbooked, and I found another camper to split it with me, but still so far out of our $$ range we decided to just figure it out ourselves. But she was disappointed. She is sort of 'demanding' I go get her some crappie. And she sleeps with that LCR .38 by her head. I sleep very light!!!

·
Registered
30,125 Posts

I'm going to end up echoing a lot of the other things that have already been said here, but first I want to start with the most important question that overrules everything else: is she/would she be capable of shooting another human being to protect herself/someone else? It may seem like a silly question, but the fact is not everyone is capable of that level of violence. I have had people (both male and female) tell me they want to get their CHCL, but that they only wanted it to "scare someone off" because they didn't want to or think they'd be able to actually shoot someone. I tell those people they shouldn't be considering carrying a gun at all, and try to steer them towards things like pepper spray/empty hand fighting classes/etc. So: is she the kind of person who could actually shoot someone if necessary?
Honest answer.

I probably couldn't do it. I got my CC so I could carry in the woods during ML season, and fishing where alligators live, and such. I will carry it into Walmart or such.

Her?? I am scared snotless she's gonna 'off' somebody cause he looked at her funny.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts

^^^ this kinda makes sense.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
My wife has a Taurus .38 Model 85. Small and fairly light, it's easy enough to conceal. I like the double action revolver for her. When you pull the trigger, it goes bang. No malfunctions. I tell her to keep pulling it 'til it starts clicking. With her, I practice more self-defense shooting as was explained earlier. This little gun is not terribly accurate for target shooting (it wasn't built for that) but inside 10-15' she can stack 'em center mass with a quickness. And, the way I figure, inside 10' is probably going to be a true self-defense range anyway. I don't want her shooting across the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Metal

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
We looked this weekend. She’s had pistols before and never really liked them. She handled several this weekend and thinks she wants the Beretta Apx carry 9mm. She said it fit her hand perfectly and was the most natural feeling. I’ve been looking for a smaller more carry friendly pistol and I’m pretty sold on the Springfield Armory Hellcat. Both of them are 9mm just like my current pistol. Thankfully 9mm ammo is available now.

·
Administrator
41,125 Posts
I kinda agree with letting her pick it out but I kinda disagree at the same time or at least in our case. My wife didnt know much of anything about guns or what she needed in a pistol because she was never really around guns till we got married. She tried a 9mm Shield and an LCP and even a Taurus 380 but never felt comfortable with any of em because none of them had a safety.

She'd carry it in her car but she'd never actually carry it on her person no matter how much she shot it. I bought her a hammerless Smith and Wesson 38 and she likes it but better yet she'll actually carry that one on her at the mall or whatever. I dont really like the 5 shot limit but Id much rather her have 5 shots actually on her person than one that holds 10 or more in her car.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
My wife and daughter don’t like revolvers due to the long hard trigger pull. My daughters hands are so small she has trouble reaching a revolver trigger.

I was pushing them to a G43. Wife went with a S&W Compact Shield 9 and daughter went with a G42.
My women like what I tell them to like. You need to tighten up around there Chitlin.

Edit: But, my wife is six feet tall. Trigger pull ain't an issue for her.

·
Registered
XDM40
548 Posts
I don't know where the OP lives, but you would save alot of time by visiting shops, letting her try numerous guns for hand fit and handling, then... seek out a indoor gun range/shop that offers rentals...
You and her will know by then which guns interest her.... she can then shoot them together at the range.
Someone said a short time back that there was a new range in Hot Springs...
After she picks out her choice of a carry piece, the only advice I could add to @Saltydog reply is for both of you to get some professional training together. That way you two are on the same page if, God forbid, you ever have to defend yourself in public or a home invasion, you both will know what each other will need to do, work as a team. You can practice at home with snap caps while checking the house after you find an open door, clearing rooms, that type of training is very valuable to have.
Also do not be offended, if after the training she decides she does not want to conceal carry. It happens to many couples.

·
Registered
XDM40
548 Posts
We looked this weekend. She’s had pistols before and never really liked them. She handled several this weekend and thinks she wants the Beretta Apx carry 9mm. She said it fit her hand perfectly and was the most natural feeling. I’ve been looking for a smaller more carry friendly pistol and I’m pretty sold on the Springfield Armory Hellcat. Both of them are 9mm just like my current pistol. Thankfully 9mm ammo is available now.
Has she shot that particular model or just “handled” it? Is there a range that has rentals near you? If not then make a road trip.
Like others have said she will need to actually shoot some different models to get a feeling for them.
Good luck.
Also some good advice was mentioned above, concealed carry is serious business, is she willing to shoot someone, possibly killing them to save herself or her family?
That needs to be addressed right now.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

I’m sorry it was meant to say “ with her lack of experience “ and we have a little boy and there is no doubt in my mind she would shoot someone to protect herself or him from danger

21 - 40 of 77 Posts