Composting....

Discussion in 'Home, Garden, and Yard' started by Unit74, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Unit74

Unit74 Account Suspended

Is there a peticular way to get a composting set up going? Wife wants to start gardening so I bought her a spade and some gloves. Now she says she wants compost...:head:

2. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

There are many different ways to setup a compost bin. Just depends on what you want to get out of it. Probably the easiest way is to build a couple of 3'x3' bins out of fence planks or weld wire fence and have at it. My last couple of bins I would put in all my grass clippings and as many leaves as I could get in, plus kitchen scraps over several months, then keep it turned and aerated for 6-8 months. Sometimes I will put my little mini tiller in to really mix it up. After it is mostly composted and the heat dies down the red worms will find it and you won't have to buy bait. Nighcrawlers will also find it, but seems like they hang out in the dirt underneath mostly. When it is fresh and hot you can put meat and fish scraps in and it will cook them down into nothing in a couple of days (bones and all) and won't smell. Some folks go to extra effort to harvest the 'compost tea' that drains out as the stuff breaks down, but I've never messed with it. It does make great liquid fertilizer, but you have to rig up some way to collect it.

3. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

The wife's composting beds are made 4' wire rolls, about 4' in diameter.

She just bought 12' lengths of 4' high wire fence & wired them together on the ends.

Grass clippings, leaves, & kitchen scraps go in there all year long.

She turns it now & again.

In the early spring, the compost goes into the garden.

4. jack03111969

jack03111969 Well-Known Member

do a web search on composting some good sights out there to tell you what to put in a compost bin are compost pile. i do have to disagree tho with putting meat in a compost pile. there are some do's and dont's as far as kitchen scraps. here are just a few do nots for compost

Bread products: This includes cakes, pasta and most baked goods. Put any of these items in your compost pile, and you've rolled out the welcome mat for unwanted pests.

Cooking oil: Smells like food to animal and insect visitors. It can also upset the compost's moisture balance.

Diseased plants: Trash them, instead. You don't want to transfer fungal or bacterial problems to whatever ends up growing in your finished compost.

Heavily coated or printed paper: This is a long list, including magazines, catalogs, printed cards and most printed or metallic wrapping paper. Foils don't break down, and you don't need a bunch of exotic printing chemicals in your compost.

Human or animal feces: Too much of a health risk. This includes kitty litter. Waste and bedding from non-carnivorous pets should be fine.

Meat products: This includes bones, blood, fish and animal fats. Another pest magnet.

Milk products: Refrain from composting milk, cheese, yogurt and cream. While they'll certainly degrade, they are attractive to pests.

Sawdust: So tempting. But unless you know the wood it came from was untreated, stay away.

Stubborn garden plants: Dandelions, ivy and kudzu are examples of plants or weeds which will probably regard your compost heap as a great place to grow, rather than decompose.