Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missouri Deer Collision Bill Will Cost Sportsmen
April 7, 2008 (Missouri)

A bill recently introduced in the Missouri House of Representatives will end up costing the sportsmen of the state and could set a negative precedent on who is responsible for any kinds of damage caused by wildlife.

House Bill 2498 requires the Missouri Department of Conservation to pay to the owner of a motor vehicle the first $250 of any damage caused to a vehicle that collides with a deer.

Outdoorsmen must rally against the bill, as wildlife is the responsibility of all people of the state. Money to cover the damages of deer/vehicle collisions should not be taken from the funds provided to the Missouri Department of Conservation by the licensing fees of sportsmen. Those fees must continue to be used for scientific conservation of the wildlife of the state.

As written, HB 2498 states that vehicle owners must provide “clear and convincing evidence” that the damage was caused by a collision with a deer and that the owner was legally operating the vehicle at the time of the accident. The provisions of the bill say there must have been contact with a deer and do not cover damaged caused to a vehicle due to avoiding a deer.

The bill was introduced on Friday, March 28 by Representative John Quinn (R-Chillicothe) and was co-sponsored by Representatives David Pearce (R-Warrensburg), Therese Sander (R-Moberly), Steve Hunter (R-Joplin) and Brian Munzlinger (R-Williamstown).

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
I got news for all voters...$250, is just about enough the replace the chrome ring around a headlight! This isn't a bill designed to help drivers who smack deer.....rather it is another stinking tax that will wind up being paid by the unfortunate few........the hunters!!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I got news for all voters...$250, is just about enough the replace the chrome ring around a headlight! This isn't a bill designed to help drivers who smack deer.....rather it is another stinking tax that will wind up being paid by the unfortunate few........the hunters!!
Anybody who's had an estimate for body work lately knows John's right! The $250 may take a bite out of the deductible, that's about it. Can you see the folks lining up to abuse such a system?

·
Super Moderator
13,406 Posts
My guess is that quite a few of the deer/car collisions are intentional anyway. At least with all of these teenagers in my class!

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
My guess is that quite a few of the deer/car collisions are intentional anyway. At least with all of these teenagers in my class!
It's the same way with some of mine.:biggrin: I think that they got more deer with the truck than they did with a gun.:smack:

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
If deer are property of the State and the State has to pay for damages. Where does the State generate it's revenue? The people of the state. This would be an unfair tax on the people that drive only in cities where the risk of damage is small. An unfair tax just might work.

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,642 Posts
Actually - $250 would cover the average deductible. My wife hit a deer last fall - thankfully, our deductible was only $100 because of the type of accident.

I can see both sides of this. I see it as pretty stinky that I would have to pay even a deductible for something that was beyond my control - like a deer running into my car.

But taking the money from the wildlife commission.... makes no sense. I guess the idea is that they don't allow enough deer to be harvested to keep the deer/car attacks down?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Actually - $250 would cover the average deductible. My wife hit a deer last fall - thankfully, our deductible was only $100 because of the type of accident.

I can see both sides of this. I see it as pretty stinky that I would have to pay even a deductible for something that was beyond my control - like a deer running into my car.

But taking the money from the wildlife commission.... makes no sense. I guess the idea is that they don't allow enough deer to be harvested to keep the deer/car attacks down?
or the folks that came up with this bill in the first place are blaming us hunters for running the poor little deer out of the woods and into there newly developed neighborhood and causing them to smackem with there new car while talking on there cell phone and doing 60 in a 35 :smack: so charge the game and fish so they will raise the license fees on the hunters to pay for the damage done to there car. yup sounds like a good solution to me:stooges:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts