Colt detective special?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by Bryan Manning, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Bryan Manning

Bryan Manning Well-Known Member

I have one that is still in factory case with cardboard box and paper work. Shot maybe 18 times has the factory pachmeyer(spl?) grips. Only 1 I found in the same shape was around $900 does that sound about right?

2. Bryan Manning

Nobody have any idea what it might be worth?

3. ursus

ursus Well-Known Member

See what they're selling for on Gunbroker.com. That will let you know.

4. allyellow

allyellow Well-Known Member

The pistol value depends on which series the pistol is,1st,2nd,3rd or 4th series, Also depends on which caliber it is also .32 or .38. Prices on the different variants of this pistol is all over the place from $375 up to $1500.

5. hogsbreath

hogsbreath Well-Known Member

Sounds like its not worth much. I'll give you $100. :whistle:

6. Bryan Manning

I believe it's a 4th I think being purchased in1995. My dad doesn't remember. Chambered .38
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bryan Manning

think I'll pass for now!

And thats what is confusing about gun broker prices are every where.

8. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

That looks like a 2nd Model, which was introduced in 1993.

My book is 2 years old, but it says NIB is $650 and in Excellent Condition $375, so allowing for some appreciation since 2010 and including the box, something in the neighborhood of $450-500 in a cash deal.

9. allyellow

allyellow Well-Known Member

Is the medallion Gold or Silver? If it's Silver it's a series 3, If it's gold it's a series 4. Also hard to tell but is the medallion a colt medallion or something else? The series 2 was issued from 1947 to 1972. The series 2 does not have a shroud around the ejector rod. The series 3 was introduced in 1973 ran till 1986. Then Colt filed bankruptcy in 1992, the post 1992 model also know as the series 4 was introduced in 1993 and ran till 1995, then replaced with the stainless steel SF-VI model.

10. Bryan Manning

Not sure about the medallion I do know it's a colt medallion but have to check on color.

11. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    I could of bought one in about the same condition for $550, I'd say yours is worth about $600