Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
was going to put in for the draw in unit 61 and was wondering if anyone hunted this unit. It takes 14 pref. points for muzzle loading and 11 for rifle elk. I have 14 points thanks Robert

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unit 76

Hey selfbow thanks How much do you know about this unit? I't would not bother me to bow hunt either. I've only been on 1 guided hunt and will probably do a diy on this hunt. The guided hunt was a bad experiece with outfitter back in 1989 so I just do it myself.

·
3,605 Posts
Hey selfbow thanks How much do you know about this unit? I't would not bother me to bow hunt either. I've only been on 1 guided hunt and will probably do a diy on this hunt. The guided hunt was a bad experiece with outfitter back in 1989 so I just do it myself.
I have hunted on the "other side of the mountain" from 76. I know that it is an awesome trophy area. I would advise either taking stock with me or renting them there for this hunt. Some of the area is along roads so you can hunt on foot though.

If I could hunt anywhere in Colorado, I would hunt in 76.

PM me if you need more info.

·
Registered
19,146 Posts
$25 fee just to apply for a point is rough, not to mention they keep your $250 cow tag money until June. One good thing though is they dropped the price on mule deer. I think it was like $300 for a doe tag and they dropped it down to $79 this year. But it still cost me $50 fee to apply for muledeer and elk . And thats just to get some points.

·
Registered
694 Posts
bent, i hunt out there pretty regular, not in 61, but very close. i dont know too much about it, but im pretty sure i could put you in touch with the people that do. pm me for more info

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
colo

I've either hunted Wyo, Colo or New Mexico every yr for the last 24 yrs. and just to see some of the views, animals etc it's worth every penny. I've had 3 by-passes in 1991 6 in 2001 and 4 stints since then so I just really enjoy the trip I take my own horses and ride and glass since I can't walk very long. My cardilogist (maybe spelled right) tells me every year to be very carefull and I tell him the best I've got it figured I've got approx. a 10,500 head start to where I need to be one of these days.

·
3,605 Posts
I've either hunted Wyo, Colo or New Mexico every yr for the last 24 yrs. and just to see some of the views, animals etc it's worth every penny. I've had 3 by-passes in 1991 6 in 2001 and 4 stints since then so I just really enjoy the trip I take my own horses and ride and glass since I can't walk very long. My cardilogist (maybe spelled right) tells me every year to be very carefull and I tell him the best I've got it figured I've got approx. a 10,500 head start to where I need to be one of these days.
Well said!
It's a short trip to heaven from the Continental Divide.

·
Registered
225 Posts
bentquaterpanel I would do some research on the hard winter and mortality
rate before I jumped to get rid of them pref points

map

·
Registered
19,146 Posts
was going to put in for the draw in unit 61 and was wondering if anyone hunted this unit. It takes 14 pref. points for muzzle loading and 11 for rifle elk. I have 14 points thanks Robert
Have you been hunting in Colorado where you didn't have to use your points. 14 pts is 14 years worth of points right?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes sir hunted 2 or 3 very good spots up around walden gunnison san juan mtns unit 9 in new mexico area 96 in wyoming been saving points trying to get in trophy area. unit 140 is a very good archery unit up by delores lake. many great exp. I went in wyoming wildneress and their was a sign that read take nothing but memoeries and leave nothing but tracks.

·
3,605 Posts
yes sir hunted 2 or 3 very good spots up around walden gunnison san juan mtns unit 9 in new mexico area 96 in wyoming been saving points trying to get in trophy area. unit 140 is a very good archery unit up by delores lake. many great exp. I went in wyoming wildneress and their was a sign that read take nothing but memoeries and leave nothing but tracks.
Have you ever hunter the Taylor Mesa/Stoner Mesa area North of Dolores?

·
Registered
19,146 Posts
I figured thats what you were doing. Its funny how they place their points on different units.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no selfbow never hunted that area. I seen some good bulls on top of the mountain up above delores lake. I even took a shot at one with my bow. It was going down a hill. I had distance right but shot under his neck. I guess I didn't follow my arrow to the spot. I killed a bear with my bow on top of Spring Mtn. It's the Mtn. behind Mtn. Nebo here in Dardanelle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts