Collared deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by richter, Dec 13, 2012.

1. richter

richter Well-Known Member

I got this picture from my camera a couple days ago. Does the game and fish commission collar deer or is this a pet? This is in Lonoke county right outside Cabot. The deer is there several days with a group of 5 does. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. superlows10

superlows10 Well-Known Member

I got a buddy that has a picture of a three point down out of Malvern off of hwy 9 with a collar just like that I'm his camera. It showed up probably two weeks ago and that was the only time he has it on his camera.

3. arelk

arelk Well-Known Member

I'll bet its a pet. We had a doe we put surveyor's ribbon on so if she ran a stick thru it, she could break it. It usually required replacing a couple of times each season.

4. RAZOR_DEER

RAZOR_DEER Well-Known Member

Youngster is probably a pet. I do love watching them!

5. gunslinger66

gunslinger66 Account Suspended

Was this deer close to Austin ?

6. richter

Not too far from Austin. Maybe 6-7 miles.

7. gunslinger66

gunslinger66 Account Suspended

I know a lady that is a wildlife rehabilitater that lives close to Austin, I thought it ight be one of hers.

8. hunt4meat

hunt4meat Member<br>You Can't Change This Side

They collar deer at Choctaw, but not sure about other places. I know you are not supposed to shoot collared deer on Choctaw. Might give AGFC HQ a call and see if any have wandered away from SEA.

9. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

G&amp;F collars have antenna attached with a transmitter box attached don't they. This looks like a regular collar. My guess would be pet.

10. richter

I can't see anything attached except a few of the pictures look like there may be a bell hanging from the front but its not clear enough to tell. I thought a per but found it strange for her to be hanging out with a group of wild deer.

11. ol bucky

ol bucky Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Shoot it and see whats on the collar.

12. dkhern

dkhern Well-Known Member

x 2 bet it would fry up tender

13. MOGO

MOGO Member<br>2017 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner

I Had a buck cross the road in front of me chasing a doe with a similiar looking collar on about a month ago in Hot Springs Co.

14. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

the Austin lady don't collar her rehab deer though ... right ?

15. jpulley11

jpulley11 Well-Known Member

Malvern
    I am a friend of the guy who has raised the 3 point in Hot Spring County. He also has a doe with a similar collar on. They are family pets that they have raised since they were fawns. Just talked to him and he said he had fed the little buck out of his hand last night.

16. mallard96

mallard96 Member

clay
    3 years ago i shot a huge 6 point on Choctaw during a rifle hunt. We noticed the hair around his neck didn't look right. Took a closer look and he had a metal tag in left ear that had 504 Notify Arkansas Game and Fish. His right ear had a tatoo of 504. Checked the deer in with the regional biologist and he said that they identified the deer the year before and he had a collar on at that time. He had lost it by the the time i shot him. The buck was 7.

17. May be a optical illusion/photographic anomaly. I get some weird stuff on my cam. Seems loose if its collar. Did you say you've actually seen it? If so, I'll just shut up.

18. richter

I haven't seen it in person but have multiple pics of this deer with the collar as well as other collarless deer in the same spot. I have other pic of this deer coming straight at the camera and it appears to have a bell or something hanging off the collar

19. Badbassn

Badbassn Premium Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Win

Maybe it's like a banded duck. I say shoot it.

20. faithfularcher

faithfularcher Well-Known Member

Why would you shoot a deer with a collar on it ... makes no sense to me when there are plenty out there that don' t have collars and might not eat cracker out of your hand?