Cold Natured Motor

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by athunt, Dec 11, 2012.

1. athunt

athunt Well-Known Member

My 30hp sea pro is very cold natured apparently. Using both eStart or pull start, it takes forever for it to fire. Theres no choke on it, or atleast I havent found it yet. I can usually start to tell when its going to fire up after several attempts because the prop starts to creep around. But 90% of the attempts it doesnt move.

Any tips for getting this thing to fire sooner on cold mornings like today?

Thanks

2. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

Fuel injected or carbs? Not familiar enough to know off the top of my head. If it has carbs, my years of working on dozens of carbs leads me to believe your pilot (idle) circuit may be getting clogged. That or it is set too lean if it has always been cold natured.

3. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

Does it have a knob on the front of the motor?

4. athunt

athunt Well-Known Member

It has carbs.

This isnt my motor, but an identical one. Heres the front of it:
    sea pro.jpg

5. dogfandan_24

dogfandan_24 Well-Known Member

you could pop the cowl and manually choke it. PITA but itll get it going quick.

6. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

You either have a problem with the enrichener system or you aren't using it. The black button to the left of the starter handle is a primer bulb. (which is why there is no traditional choke lever) It injects fuel into the motor for quick cold starts. I've only worked on 3 or 4 of that model and some had a decal with cold start procedures on the cowl and some didn't. I see that yours does not. If you are using the primer bulb with the hard starts, it's probably time to have the carb cleaned and adjusted.

7. jas870

jas870 Super Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner

On my Yamaha, I put it in gear twist the throttle about half a dozen times before I try to start it. This will pump some fuel In the carbs and it typically fires right up.

8. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

4 stroke???

9. Delbert

Delbert Well-Known Member

Push the primer buld by the handle 3 to 5 times then try to start it.

10. jas870

jas870 Super Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner

yessir

11. UncleSi

UncleSi Active Member

I'll tell you what's wrong with it, it's a mercury...I fixed the problem by getting rid of it.

12. lineman2002

lineman2002 Well-Known Member

Isn't that a primer bulb by the pull start?