Coin Collecting

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by headhunter_60, Dec 22, 2010.

1. headhunter_60

headhunter_60 Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

I was just wondering if anyone on here collects coins. I just started to really get into it. I just like old stuff I guess. If anyone knows where to get some old liberty dollars and such or want to get rid of theirs let me know.

2. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    I've been collecting since back in my mid treens (52 now). Keep your eyes open and you'll stumble across some pretty neat coins every once in a while.

3. I have some.........but they stay locked away in a very safe place.:biggrin:

4. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    Mine too... a mayo jar buried in the back yard. :thumb:

5. n2deer

n2deer Well-Known Member

I have a bunch I found in a house I was cleaning out. Really have know idea of worth but they are cool. There are rolls of wheat pennies, probally 5,000 total and a bunch of large silver coins but I havent even checked them out really.

6. If you get a chance check out this place in Memphis.. I've never been to the one in L.R. but the one in Memphis is huge and there are lots of coin dealers located all around.. Go and shop around and then go back to where you saw the best deal..http://memphisfleamarket.com/index2.html

7. No mayo jar and not buried......:whistle:

8. belliott

belliott Well-Known Member

I would'nt really call myself a collector. I hoard silver coins. I go to the bank and buy 500 dollars in 50 cent pieces and go thru them. I pull out the silver coins and deposit the rest at a diffrent bank. I also do it with dimes.

My oldest son has gotten into the action and I pick him up rolls of pennys each week. He is trying to put a collection of pennys together from 1909 to present from circulation.

I also hoard pre 1983 pennys, because they are 95% copper.

9. Mongoose

Mongoose Well-Known Member

My son found a 1902 quarter last week where he works.:thumb:

I put all my coin change in jars for "hard times." I have about ten Mason Jars stacked in the back of my safe of quarters, dimes, and nickles. I have an old butter churn almost full of pennies that I've been adding to for 20 years or so.

10. duckhunter2-2007

duckhunter2-2007 Well-Known Member

My aunt in Washington has a real 1943 copper penny. Believe it or not she found it in a roadside park back in the late 40's or early 50's. It was authenticated at the mint and she has documentation. I don't think it's for sale though.:biggrin:

11. kjmitch

kjmitch Well-Known Member

Where can someone get an idea of the value of coin collections. I have a few sets

12. rgwill

rgwill Well-Known Member

I like Morgans....

13. .270Win

.270Win Super Moderator<br>Forum Sponsor<br>'07 Deer Hunti

I don't really consider myself to be a coin "collector", more of a "dabbler", but I do have quite a few old coins. I also have a coin collecting supplies business if you ever need any coin holders and such.

I highly recommend that you get a Whitman Red Book if you're just getting started. Lot's of great info about all US coinage.

.270Win

14. popgun

popgun Well-Known Member

I have collected coins since I was about 11 years old and I am 63 now.
    Most information you need to sell without getting robbed is available by just Googling the coin and date.

Last weekend I sold 3 1928 plain Peace silver dollars for $925.
    McIntire's in J'ville, is a good buyer and I would recommend him in a heartbeat.
    Most of my silver dollars, and halves were worth only melt-down value, and I sold them to a jeweler.
    I sold a collection of mercury and Roosevelt dimes also for melt down value. They were worth about $2.50 each.
    I still have a small collection of Indian Head Cents, Lincoln pennies, and Buffalo and Jefferson nickels I want to get rid of if you are interested.
    I also have a lot of Newfoundland nickels and Canadian coins that are made of silver and worth melt-down value.
    It is a shame that the melt-down value is more than collectors value on so many of the old coins.

I also wish I could get rid of my Grandma's stamp collection, but have no idea of it's worth.
    ....popgun

15. diggercat

diggercat Well-Known Member

Off and on for the last 30 years. Currently off.

16. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of wheat pennies around here somewhere. Got in a bind a while back and sold all of my silver dollars on ebay.:banghead: Got some 2 dollar bills laying around somewhere too.

17. I really need to do some business with you Marty.....I have 100 uncirculated Morgans that could use some of those cases....

18. .270Win

100 Uncirculated Morgan dollars.....seriously??? :eek: Yep, I'd put them in Air-Tites for sure. Go to our website and get either H38 direct fit or 38mm ring type Air-Tites. How are they protected right now?

If you need any help just give me a call, our toll free number is on our site....but I won't be around until Monday. :up:

.270Win

19. Still in a roll the way they have been for probably the last 60+ years.
    Spent most of that time in a safe in Colorado and now in a safe in a safety deposit box.

20. .270Win

:up: