Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me see if I've got this right. To buy a gun through the CMP, I have to be a member of a gun range/club associated with them, ( closest to me is Mountain Valley Armory in Hot Springs) and actually compete in CMP sanctioned target matches, or else I can't buy from CMP? I wouldn't mind having on of their rifles, but with my diabetes and nerve damage, I shake to much to do any real precision shooting. I can hit a deer, but would have trouble putting several rounds in the ten ring.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Sir, It has been some years since I last bought from the CMP but I believe you are correct. My first experience was a "CMP clinic" in Louisiana. We met at a rifle range, were briefed in safety procedures, operation of the M1 Garand, and match rules. Then we shot a full CMP match. Targets were scored but no particular score was required for any sort of "qualification".
IMHO, the CMP are good folks! I would be glad to help you find the closest or easiest for you club or organization to join for qualifying for the CMP. Send me a PM if you'd like any assistance. I am no guru but I may help point you to the right parties.

Also IMHO, EVERYONE should own an M1, or two........... They are great rifles!
Tommy

·
Registered
810 Posts
The Garand Collectors Society can serve as a qualifying club. Also, if you served in the armed forces that can count towards competing. Reserve components count as well as active duty.

·
Administrator
76,327 Posts
When I got mine ~2007 or so you had to be a member of a qualifying club. Our club is USPSA affiliated so we qualified. Do t remember much more than that about the process. It was easy.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks y'all. When I last tried to join the military, I was told that since I had developed asthma after age 12, I could not be drafted in. I looked it up on the CMP website once and the closest place was in Hot Springs. Unfortunately I'm out of work right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts