CMC power T&T or not?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Greyhound, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Matthew.loftis

Matthew.loftis Well-Known Member

Here you go. Maybe you were throwing some yuck @orangefeetdown after all. Not to mention he stated already that he has no trouble getting on pad AND his cav plate is even. But, like I said before... let me know more about your “handling problems” @Greyhound

2. Greyhound

Greyhound Well-Known Member

First, is “up on pad” and “up on plane” the same thing? I have no problem getting up on plane. But, while up on plane at WOT, it seems like I have to fight the boat to make a turn. Maybe it’s due to left to right weight distribution? I have more weight on right side of boat than left. Once I get RPM values, we’ll know more about what the problem may be.

3. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    Just because he’s not having trouble getting on pad doesn’t mean he’s getting the most out of his setup and the motor is at the correct height, IE the water spraying out from the sides of the hull while at WOT. A properly set up hull won’t do that, but ok man, forgot you were the expert. I’ll leave it to you

Matthew.loftis likes this.
  4. Greyhound

I'm at 5150RPM (lower end of range) WOT running 32-33 down river and 30-31 up river. Water splash coming from front 1/3 of boat. Maybe that's the average speed most guys are getting with my setup? It just seems the boat is running deeper than it should and instead of skipping on top, it's plowing. IMG_0322.jpg

5. orangefeetdown

NEA
    Setback and motor coming up will help lift the hull up and out of the water and help with the spray. The nose is never getting enough lift to get it up, and a bow lifting prop would help. I’d be really interested to know what RPM reading you’d get with a 13p prop. I bet it’d be real close to optimal. Getting the motor back and up will help with the RPM’s as well. I personally (and only speaking for me) would not operate a boat in Arkansas, especially on smaller rivers and lakes without a breakaway plate. Just too much risk of hitting something and damaging the lower unit. That will get you some additional set back like I said earlier.

6. Matthew.loftis

Setback and the correct prop will help. Setback will allow you to run the motor higher and change the fulcrum so you’ll be able to get the nose higher.

I don’t think that’s the issue. Your steering cables might be tight is why the turning feels hard. Could be in a bind. That boat is heavy. The foam in it is heavy. Fast, high lift boats are always light for their HP. Also, a slight hook will cause the nose to plow. There’s always a ton of things when it comes to setting up a boat. Sometimes people get lucky and it’s just a prop change or a jack plate. Then they think it’s easy.

Keep in mind there are 100 times more boats on Arkansas lakes and rivers that don’t run breakaways or jack plates than do.

7. Greyhound

I've checked the steering cables. When trailered, the steering wheel turns with ease and up to 25-26mph it steers with ease. It's when at WOT the steering becomes difficult. Steering cables don't seem to be the issue.

What, in terms of MPH, do you think I'd gain by a jackplate that will provide 5-6" of setback?

What exactly is a hook? Not sure I'm familiar with that.

My concern is that I could potentially spend $400-$800 on things to optimize performance but still only gain 2-3mph from where I'm at now.

8. orangefeetdown

NEA
    So getting the nose higher which in turn would get the hull up and out of the water wouldn’t help the spray/plowing? Am I understanding correctly?

Also, just because they’re not running them doesn’t mean they’re not needed/wouldn’t help the setup... May or may not help greyhound in his case (I personally think it would) but that statement seems to paint with a pretty broad brush.

100% correct that there are a ton of things that go into properly setting up a boat. The motor being hard to turn could absolutely be the cables are too tight, BUT, it could also be because the motor is digging and is too low.

9. Matthew.loftis

When you're at WOT does the motor try to pull in one direction or is the steering overall just difficult? Sounds like a prop issue from your description.

A hook is essentially an area on the bottom of the hull that is concave with respect to the rest of the hull. A lot of times a boat coming straight from the factory might have a hull close to where the transom is welded to the hull. This could be an intentional design aspect or a flaw. Many things can cause a hook; but a hook will always cause more drag. It'd be like a trim tab on the bottom of your boat fighting against stern lift.

From your picture, you definitely have too much boat in the water at WOT. To be completely honest, though... Your scenario of spending several hundo on a jackplate and gaining a couple MPH is probably accurate. Before I threw money at the problem, I'd lay your straight edge on the bottom of the hull and see if there is any discrepancy in the flatness of the hull from the transom weld to 3-4' forward. Check the center 3-5 keels and the areas in between them.

Verify hook/no hook first. Then, I'd go a/b trying to remove as much foam as possible from the hull. I bet you'll find it's wet. You can replace that foam with something as simple as Styrofoam or pool noodles if that makes you feel better. Coastguard foam regulations mostly address the manner in which a boat will sink - not keeping it afloat.

I always found that a jackplate didn't help the way my boat handled. It will create an opportunity for you to get the motor back and higher in cleaner water. Like I mentioned, this will set you up to get the nose higher which will reduce drag and allow you to run shallower. However, that's all other things corrected.

10. Greyhound

When I let go of the steering wheel, the boat stays straight. It's just difficult to turn and usually requires both hands on the steering wheel.
    Yes, there is an area that would cause a hook just forward of the transom in the middle of the boat. When I was looking at the cav plate relative to the bottom of the boat, I noticed it. Looks like where the boat hit a stump or something. Not sure how I can get that out since the boat has welded in floor plating preventing access to it from the top side.
    Not sure how to get foam out without cutting to gain access?

11. Greyhound

Is there a preferred breakaway jack plate? A google search brings up several brands.