Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,906 Posts
firehog, your clover looks great!

I quit maintaining my clover as much as I was. I actually plant wheat into my clover in the fall for a quicker greenup. I will spray if I get something really obnoxious in my plot like johnson grass. Clethodim for grass. I actually like mine to be a little weedy because the weeds help shade the clover in the summer, maintaining it longer through the hot dry spells. The weeds also provide more fawning and nesting cover, because outside of arrowleaf clover, most clovers do not grow tall enough to provide cover. I will mow if the broadleafs get really bad. I also mow in mid september before I plant wheat in October. Most broadleaf weeds are pretty easy to control with 24d BUTYRAC. Imox is supposed to take care of both broadleaf and grass - but I have not tried it.

For me, simpler has become better. I used to plant all kinds of stuff for deer. Now, I pretty much stick with clover and wheat. Wheat for me to hunt over (in the same plot as the clover), and clover for a high protein food source during the summer when fawns are nursing and antlers are growing. I dont fertilize my deer plots anymore.

But, this time of year, when I get down in this 8 acre plot full of 30” native pecan, I often think how pretty it would be to have a nice looking, pure clover stand. I need Firehog to maintain my plots for me!

0E94444D-E990-4343-9209-D393F89CAA7D.jpeg

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What chemical do you use for grass control?
Clethodime for grasses and 24D Butyrac 200 for broadleaf weeds. This plot actually is the first year of white clover and it’s not fully mature yet so I’ll wait till mid May before I spray.

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I quit maintaining my clover as much as I was. I actually plant wheat into my clover in the fall for a quicker greenup. I will spray if I get something really obnoxious in my plot like johnson grass. Clethodim for grass. I actually like mine to be a little weedy because the weeds help shade the clover in the summer, maintaining it longer through the hot dry spells. The weeds also provide more fawning and nesting cover, because outside of arrowleaf clover, most clovers do not grow tall enough to provide cover. I will mow if the broadleafs get really bad. I also mow in mid september before I plant wheat in October. Most broadleaf weeds are pretty easy to control with 24d BUTYRAC. Imox is supposed to take care of both broadleaf and grass - but I have not tried it.

For me, simpler has become better. I used to plant all kinds of stuff for deer. Now, I pretty much stick with clover and wheat. Wheat for me to hunt over (in the same plot as the clover), and clover for a high protein food source during the summer when fawns are nursing and antlers are growing. I dont fertilize my deer plots anymore.

But, this time of year, when I get down in this 8 acre plot full of 30” native pecan, I often think how pretty it would be to have a nice looking, pure clover stand. I need Firehog to maintain my plots for me!

View attachment 311292
I started transitioning about 3 years ago on being simpler. It’s nice to not have the stress of trying to get the plots in around September and trying to get rain etc. I key in two areas for my plots and that’s late season for deer health and spring summer for doe fawn health. Even though my area is pretty good to provide soybeans for health the does typically won’t travel 2-3 miles for the beans. So I like to provide a good food source for the home does. They almost become pets, they watch me mow the yard and will come up
In the yard all the time.

·
Premium Member
26,906 Posts
This is what I really like my spring and summer food plots to look like. There is a variety of clover in the understory that persists from the ten years of me planting different varieties, along with an overstory of wheat and a light seeding of winter rye, which gets about four feet tall. This is the only plot I have containing winter rye. We will see how it does this summer as it dies back. Right now, I like it.

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts

View attachment 311292
Your Hired...When do you start..?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts