Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since reading the buck kicking thread earlier it got me to wondering how close have you been to a deer...REAL STORIES NO PINK ELEPHANTS PLEASE!!

I will post my story after I hear some of yours and I was close.

·
Banned
7,034 Posts
Never kicked one in the chest before.:biggrin:

Have had quite a few encounters at less than 5 yards.
One in particular was hunting a ground blind I had a doe and 2 yearlings feed around me for around 20 minutes. The yearlings got so close on numerous times I could have reached out and touched them.

Closest deer I ever shot was at around 4 yards. My stand was in some thick brush/trees on the edge of a cutover. I was able to grunt this buck in and he finally came right under my stand, was so close all I saw was a blur of fur in the scope.:smack:

·
Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner
909 Posts
A couple of feet.

It was my wife's, girlfriend at the time, first time to go hunting. She is scared of heights so we sat on the ground at the edge of an old logging road facing south. All of a suddon I could hear something run from the north straight to us. By the time I could turn my head it was already past us and almost out of sight by the time she got her gun up. We had a litte blind up in front of us and I don't know how it kept from knocking it over. After it ran by and she said 'what is that smell' it had that strong of an odor.

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
When my son was real young, we had seats that strapped to a tree trunk. I didn't want him off the ground at that time. I strapped the seats to a tree trunk side by side so he was sitting beside me where I could keep an eye on him. We were sitting in our seats one morning and 2 yearlings came up to us and sniffed me on the knee. We sat perfectly still, they sniffed for a few seconds and then just fed on off. They never seemed alarmed.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've had 2 yearlings come within arms reach, a doe and the fawns came in from downwind, I was on the ground w/ a crossbow laying on my lab. I thought at one time there were going to step on me. I have had them several times within 2 or 3 yards when i'm on the ground. I had one run at me before daylight, my light might have blinded the deer, I don't know, I moved out of it's way and it kept going.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I have some pretty close encounters myself, but can't top kicking a 160 class deer in the chest :fit:

The one that sticks out the most was a yearling I dang near got to eat corn out of my hand (I'm talking about a free roaming south AR deer in a highly hunted area) anyways I was riding down a trail in the middle of the woods and came up on a guys feeder and there was a yearling eating corn under it 20 yards away. Well after the deer didn't seem scared I got out of the truck and grabbed a handfull of corn. I then slowely walked up to about 10 yards from the yearling and nelt down and held out my hand. Anyways after a while the deer woked within about a foot from my hand and right when I thought it was going to take a bite, it took off and I never saw it again.

I also used to have a platform built in a whiteoak tree in which I always feed directly under me. There were many nights when I climbed down within a couple feet of deer before they realized I was there.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
The wind was blowing real hard one afternoon so i sat on the ground to keep from keep sick from waving back and forth in a tree and a spike came walking by. I could of reached out poked him with my arm. Funniest part was he walked by and stopped and turned around to look at me and he had the funniest look on his face trying to figure out what i was. He never spooked though and just kept on walking.

·
Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015
3,227 Posts
wading in water 1 time in LA got to within 10' of a yearling that was looking back toward where dogs were running, after he took off a 7 pt that the dogs was running ran straight at me and after firing 3 shots he fell at my feet. I reach out and touch him with the end of my rifle. I was shooting an auto and could only find 2 holes in him. I think I was firing so fast and he was soo close that 2 bullets hit in the same hole, because there was no way to miss!!He was within 10 feet by the time I got my gun up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Cutting Wheat on Combine

Back in my youthful days, me and one of my buddy's was cutting wheat on his farm. We were on a old International 915, and we saw something in front of the header, which at that time we could not tell what it was...... At about that time, the fawn ran out into the side that had been cut, and then the next event was my buddy jumping off the combine, heading after that deer. He never blinked an eye, and was gone in a full sprint out of the cab, and he never touched the steps. In about a 5 minute chase, which I watched while continuing to cut the wheat, and laughing til my chest hurt, I saw a big wreck ,with both their feet flying over their heads..... Then after the dust settled, up come my partner with that fawn in his arms. The deer rode with us for a loop or two, then we let it go by the woods, by where we were cutting the wheat. :fit:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was sitting on the ground with my xbow my 2nd season to hunt..I always just poured a little deer pee on the toe of my boots for cover..It was almost to dark to shoot and I stood up when I did I saw a deer making a scrape I thought crap I'm busted well the I got right up against the tree and the deer walked over towards me and walked up and smelt my boots, his nose was on them..Sad thing is I couldnt have shot anyways it was a big spike..He just looked at me for a second and slowly walked off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Funny you should mention this topic, as my encounter happened this past Saturday evening just oustide Rison. Was traveling home with my son just north of town on Hwy 79 and got within 5-6 feet of a deer, then WHAMMMM!!! Yep, be very careful driving out there fellas. I now need a new bumper, and front grille. Thank goodness I am driveable and the radiator didn't get damaged. It's pretty crazy what happens to a deer when you impact it driving 60. I was looking at the doe on the right shoulder, and the spike was coming across. I never saw it until it was too late. Scared my boy pretty good, heck, me too.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Funny you should mention this topic, as my encounter happened this past Saturday evening just oustide Rison. Was traveling home with my son just north of town on Hwy 79 and got within 5-6 feet of a deer, then WHAMMMM!!! Yep, be very careful driving out there fellas. I now need a new bumper, and front grille. Thank goodness I am driveable and the radiator didn't get damaged. It's pretty crazy what happens to a deer when you impact it driving 60. I was looking at the doe on the right shoulder, and the spike was coming across. I never saw it until it was too late. Scared my boy pretty good, heck, me too.

I think I saw the deer that you ran over on my way home Saturday night. Was the deer left on the southbound shoulder? Only reason I remember because it looked fresh and was not there that morning when i came through. I saw about 25 deer between Kingsland and Staves on my home.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A buddy and I were squirrel hunting and were walking about 15 or 20 yards apart going thru a thicket in Bayou Deview. We had seen a few squirrels up ahead and were sneaking around the brush pile when I caught something out of the corner of my eye. I froze in my tracks when I realized that standing right between he and I was a huge 8 point buck. I guess he was hoping we wouldn't notice him in the thicket and keep moving as he was not moving at all. I was trying to get my buddies attention and was pointing to the buck..but he thought I was pointing to a squirrel !! I had my shotgun on a sling and finally put both hands on my head and try to make some antlers so he would understand what I was saying !!

Once he realized it was there, he made a jumping motion towards the buck only to send it running straight at me !! It got within about 5 feet of me before bolting the other direction. Season was not in, but a few more steps my way and I thought I was going to have to fire a warning shot in his direction...scared the crap out of me !!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Nov of 06 while having lunch in deer camp a spike buck walked out of the woods into our camp. He head butted me on the leg wanting to play. Me and my buddies played with him for a while then he walked off into the woods.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was hunting in a ground blind made of hay bails. I had my inline muzzy propped up on the hay and I was just watching the fields. A few does came out and the momma doe decided to see what I was sitting there. by this time i had my gun up and on my shoulder, using the hay as a rest. She came up and stuck her nose less then a inch from my cold barrel. The only thing I could think of was, please don't touch that cold barrel. we had a stare down for about 2 min. and i could see up her nose. I was freakin out, she finially turned and walked all the way around me looking. The only thing i could think of is the hay snuffed out my sent and she couldn't figure me out. she went back to eating and I sat and watched them for about 30 min then they left.

That is the closest i have been, I have had some close ones about 2 feet many times, but never one like that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think I saw the deer that you ran over on my way home Saturday night. Was the deer left on the southbound shoulder? Only reason I remember because it looked fresh and was not there that morning when i came through. I saw about 25 deer between Kingsland and Staves on my home.
That was probably it. Just past the liquor store on the southbound shoulder. If I would have been in a pickup, I probably would have taken it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.