Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday season opened in the counties west of me in Texas. I am in Grayson County which is the western most eastern county (it opens here Tuesday). I was sick with allergies yesterday morning and didn't go (my wife was shocked). Yesterday afternoon I went to some public land in Cooke County. There were 3 trucks parked where I park. I went in anyway. After about a 3 mile hike, I struck a bird at 6:00pm. It turned out there were two of them. They were hung up and it started getting close to dark so I had to force the issue. I crawled in close and then they started coming my way. They were in a little bottom and it was clear the were going to roost on the edge of the bluff I was on. They were hammering! I watched them strut for about 30 minutes and then they shut up and vanished. I thought someone else must have bumped them. Then I saw one coming straight for me, but then I realized it wasn't a turkey. It was black hog that must have weighed 300 pounds! It came up 20 steps and smelled me and then started side stepping and sort of challenging me. I started to give it a load of #5s, but had no idea how I would get him out of the woods and I didn't want to mess with him. In the meantime the turkeys flew up down the bluff. The hog turned and ran and flew the turkeys out. They did not make a sound this morning!:Just when I had experienced every possible way to have a hunt go wrong, I discovered. mishap #961: Hogs! defrown:

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
me and my dad were setup one morning and a turkey coming in, i heard all this noise coming from behind me. i turned and looked and two decent sized hogs ran right up to the tree my dad was up against. he was waving and kicking at them, it was pretty funny, except the turkey disappeared on us

·
Registered
92 Posts
I may get my chops busted for advocating this Spit-N-Drum, but I'd have no qualms at all over killing a hog and leaving it where it fell. Few critters are capable of doing more damage to the environment. I say kill 'um all. :rip:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts