Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my little turkey hunter this weekend and we had a great time worrying the turkeys. We where on birds Sat. morning but the little guy froze out on me right after fly-down time and we had to leave a gobbling bird. That afternoon we whent to another spot and when we looked with the binocs to the spot we were going to set up there were two big gobblers strutting 15 yards from the natural blind we wanted to be in. We snuck in as close as we could and waited for them to go back around the corner and moved in and set up hoping they would come back to fly up. They did come back but flew up when they were 50 yards from us.:smack: Sun. no hunt in the AM but we were back headed to our blind at about 1:00 PM . The birds were right by the blind again.:smack: They went around the corner and we made for the blind as fast as you can go up a steep hill with a 7 year old. About 100 yards from the blind I heard them gobble so we just set up right there. I soft called and got an immediate response from about 60 yards. After a few minutes of silence and seeing nothing on the break of the hill I gave a couple more yelps and both toms double gobbled from about 30 yards. Well my little boy started to shake and breathe so hard I thought he would hyperventilate. Finally two heads came up and when I could see about half the length of their beards I told Parker to pick one out and put the bead on his waddle and let him have it . He did and he missed.:biggrin: Both birds gobbled as they ran back up the hill and we ran up to the crest of the hill to watch, they stopped at around 70 yards and I started cutting and those birds put on a show that would rattle even a grown man, they must have gobbled 20 times in about 2 minutes and strutted and paced and worked themselves into a frenzy. They finally worked off into the woods gobbling all the way. We called the same two birds back twice in the next 4 hours but couldn't get another shot. On the way back to the truck we tried to ambush a huge tom my son named "Birdzilla". While we were following we saw a yote following him too so we set up and did a few dying rabbit squeals with a mouth call and he came in to 50 yards and made us before we could get him close enough for a shot. We started back after "Birdzilla" and got busted at 40 yards. It was one of the best days I have ever had hunting turkeys!:thumb:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I really enjoyed that turkey huntin story. You guys did good. Bet that lil' guy learned alot that day ... good on you for taking him ! :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts