Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Summit Titan climber ships today!!! I haven't ever used a climbing stand before but I here there the way to go. It gives you a little more freedom to roam about and find different spots and just throw it up and start hunting.

·
Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner
909 Posts
My second viper is delievered tomorrow.....it ain't new though.

When you first start off, it ain't as easy as it looks. You have to figure out a technique the works best for you. So don't get to frustrated. It don't take long and one can climb a tree fast and quite. I taught my wife how to climb about a week ago (hints the new climber).

You made a fine stand choice too. :up:

·
Registered
756 Posts
I wouldn't know what to do without mine. Being that i hunt alot of free hunt areas. I have a Wolverine model Gorilla climbing stand from ole' wally world. It's not as nice as yall's but it does the trick. Throw it on my back and where ever i decide to set up there i go. Its great for scouting during the noon time hours and setting up for an evening hunt! Or set it up the night before (if you can get away with this and noone steal it) in a new spot for a morning hunt.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Use the safety harness religiously. If you can practice with it close to the house when you get it, it will make it much easier when your in the woods.

Practice putting it on different sized trees and practice getting in and out of it. Also make sure the seat hight is comfortable and the backpack straps are the right length before you go into the woods.

I have had two summits and loved them both but there is one thing that you may have to do. Some of them get stuck together in shipping and you almost can't get them apart. If they do, once you get them apart, take a grinder or file and take off part of the last tooth on either side of the top section. If it happens you won't need an explanation, you'll see it. Mine got stuck for the first time in the woods. I cussed that thing like a sailor for 20 minutes, threw it up against a tree and it came apart. After I ground those two teeth it never did it again.

Be safe.
jf

·
Registered
14,537 Posts
I dont leave home without my climber (at least during archery season). You just never know when you'll need to throw it on a new tree.

Definitely practice with it some before you go hunting! It takes a little practice to get it on the tree right so it will be at a comfortable angle once you climb up the tree because tree's generally get skinnier the higher you go. Also, you want to be as familar as possible with it when your trying to throw it on a tree quietly in the dark.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
... because tree's generally get skinnier the higher you go.
That may be the best advice. I hated (oops, can't use that word here), didn't like my API when I first got it, because it felt like I was falling forward. By the time I reached 18-20ft, the stand was leaning way to far forward. You've got to overtighten it a bit when you start, then it will balance out the higher you get.

·
Premium Member
18,386 Posts
Great advice so far. The skinny tree thing will serve you well as you learn to judge how much angle to give it when you first put it up.

Also, you will want to always have a Gerber (or some other brand) saw with you. There are any number of trees you can climb, but that saw, for small limbs, expands that number greatly. That thing with the tree and bone blade is in my backpack religously.

I'll echo another statement already made as well. Learn to get the distance between butt and feet right. Takes some adjustment but there is a fine line between comfortable and sleepy feet.

Finally, and this is maybe the most important other than a safety belt, TIE A ROPE BETWEEN the two halves. I'll not embarress myself more than to say that getting 20 ft. up and losing the bottom half down the tree 10ft. is a very, very uncomfortable situation.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I love my Summit, and sure you will too. The saw will be your best friend. I have one that I got at WalMart and have it (the sheath) taped to the climber. Great when you get set up and have to cut one more branch to keep it from hitting you in the face.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Getting the angle of the lower section right is crucial to being comfortable in a climber. If the tree gets smaller in diameter at your hunting height, you will have to angle it up to almost a 45 degree angle. If the diameter of the tree doesn't change much then you only have to slightly angle it. It takes practice. It stinks when you get to your desired height and your platform is tilted forward. And definately don't forget to attach the two sections of your stands with a rope. Once you get comfortable with a climber you will love them.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info men. It's suppose to be delivered Monday so I'm gonna set it up a shoot out of it some. I can't hardly wait it's like a kid at Christmas time!!!!!:thumb: I'll be sure to post a pic of that big buck I kill out of it!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Great advice so far. The skinny tree thing will serve you well as you learn to judge how much angle to give it when you first put it up.

Also, you will want to always have a Gerber (or some other brand) saw with you. There are any number of trees you can climb, but that saw, for small limbs, expands that number greatly. That thing with the tree and bone blade is in my backpack religously.

I'll echo another statement already made as well. Learn to get the distance between butt and feet right. Takes some adjustment but there is a fine line between comfortable and sleepy feet.

Finally, and this is maybe the most important other than a safety belt, TIE A ROPE BETWEEN the two halves. I'll not embarress myself more than to say that getting 20 ft. up and losing the bottom half down the tree 10ft. is a very, very uncomfortable situation.
Couldn't have said it better :up: 1 other thing make sure to get about a 40 ft rope/cord to pull up your gear with and always tie one end of it to your climber. This will keep you from climbing up the tree and realizing both ends are still on the ground.

·
Registered
14,537 Posts
Whats an average height yall climb?? I'm not to keen of heights myself about 15ft-18ft if that hight is good with me!!! Fat boys and the ground don't mix to well!!!!
That's about all I ever climb. Early season, especially if I dont want to saw a big branch, I bet I've hunted closer to 10ft. If you've got your wind right, and dont squirm you'll be fine.

Also, somebody mentioned tying the rope to your stand. That's a pretty good idea to keep it there tied to the stand if you can. I've had 1 or 2 hunts on the ground because I walked in with my climber on my back, started putting it on the tree, and then I realized I didnt have a pull rope!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.