Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion on climbing spikes? Torn in between them and climbing sticks. Im assuming there illegal on public ground?? Hunted out of a climber for years looking to add a portable lock on to my options. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
If your lock on is going to be portable I'd go with the climbing sticks. Much easier n quicker to setup.. By climbing spikes are you referring to lineman climbing spikes or those screw in steps?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Used them on private land but not on public. A little loud getting up the tree but they fit in my daypack pretty good. Combined with a tree saddle makes a very lightweight and portable stand.

·
Grand Member
15,667 Posts
Looking at buying a set a aluminum climbing sticks right now. Love my lock-on stands, got a Millennium M100 last year and it only weighs 11 pounds, but my old climbing sticks are steel and weigh 25 to 30 pounds. Muddy, Hawk and Lone Wolf make 32" climbing sticks that only weigh 2 1/2 to 3 pounds per stick. If I can get a set of sticks that weigh 10 pounds to go with my stand I'm set. I've tried screw in steps and if set up ahead of time they're not too bad, but take too long to carry in and set up on the same morning as a hunt. Also not legal on public land I hunt. If you go screw in, get a good set. I've seen some of the cheaper ones fail, either snap off at the bend or straighten out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah lineman climbing spikes is what I'm referring to, not the screw ins. I like the idea of saving the weight but also hunt a bunch of public. Leaning more toward the sticks but just looking for opinions

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Yeah lineman climbing spikes is what I'm referring to, not the screw ins. I like the idea of saving the weight but also hunt a bunch of public. Leaning more toward the sticks but just looking for opinions
I hope you have some sort of fall protection and experience using hooks... I climb poles all the time and wouldn't use them for hunting.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
We use em to hang stands some. My dad (who is a lineman) can scale up a tree and sound bout like a squirrel. Me on the other hand, sound like a grizzly bear fighting off hornets when I use em.. Haha I guess if I practiced n used em more I'd see it as a better option.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
When I hunted Wattensaw everyone used climbing spikes. In Wattensaw I think it was the only way to keep people from stealing your stands. I wasn't aware they had made it illegal.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I've used them before with lock-ons. Mainly use them now for hanging/adjusting stands. Don't get cheap ones. Use the right size gaff for the tree, and watch some instruction/training. I only use on private land.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Just so you know..... They didn't "make" it illegal. It's been that way on public lands since I started hunting in 1982, and who knows how long before that! You can't screw or drive anything metal into trees, period. Here's the copy from the AGFC Code book; While on this subject, see what it says about contact info on stands, something that I have yet to see on any stand found on public land..... But then, why would someone who's knowingly breaking the law, tell the authorities where they live, AND give them a phone number!

Kind of like the morons at airports and others customs officials asking if you are a terrorist, and expecting an honest answer!!!!:rolleyes:

EXCEPTIONS:
(1) Portable hunting blinds, portable hunting stands and associated equipment using no metal objects screwed or driven into trees. Such stands and blinds must have the owner's name and address permanently affixed and must be moved at least 200 yards after seven consecutive days. Stands and blinds may not be placed on a WMA more than seven days before deer archery season and must be removed from the WMA within seven days after the close of deer archery season.
(2) On USDA Forest Service cooperative WMAs, portable stands must comply with USDA Forest Service regulations.
(3) Structures in compliance with a Commission-issued land use permit.
(4) In compliance with Codes 01.00C, 19.04; 20.18; 24.05; 24.06.
(5) Slough boats may be kept at designated sites beginning the Saturday before the
opening day of duck season and must be permanently removed seven days after the
last day of duck season.
(6) Trail Cameras.
PENALTY: Class 2

·
Premium Member
Commish Weld
22,877 Posts
My hunting buddy used them for many years when we were younger. I could never climb wort a flip in them. He could scamper up a tree in a wink. He retired them after he hit his early 40s. Now they hang in his office (they were his grandpa's spikes originally). All this climbing was on private land.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Only time I use the screw in spikes is in a tree I practice shootin from in my yard. I got a set of hawk climbing sticks and I got 3 sets of heavy metal climbing ladders from Walmart for $20 each a few years ago. I use the heavy ones on my places on my lease n my hawk sticks on public ground. I do have one tree I use some screw in spikes on my lease but it's way to big at the bottom n splits about 17 feet up. Use spikes up until it splits then two hawk sticks above that

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
They could be handy if you are experienced climbing trees. But the gaffs used for trees are different than the ones used for climbing utility poles. Utility poles gaffs are smaller and curved at the end, poles are bare and don't need much of a gaff to stick into the pole. Gaffs for trees are longer to penetrate the tree bark and stab into the meat of the tree. If you're going to free climb a tree you might want to spend time practicing climbing before you head up a tree. Few things to worry about is if you cut out on the climb you better brace for impact, it's fairly easy if you don't have a good technique. Also if your feet aren't psotitioned correctly and your gaff slips you can bury it in the top of your foot or ankle, I've seen this first hand.

My suggestion is invest in a pair of lightweight portable speed sticks that are easy to install and transport. And always use 100% fall protection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.