choke and shell question

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by archeryman.501, Dec 15, 2012.

1. archeryman.501

archeryman.501 Well-Known Member

I have purchased a Carlson waterfowler 3 pack of choke tubes. I am using the full (.700) tube in my remington 870 express mag. I have never shot black cloud or any shell like that and I was wondering if that would be a good combo with my setup.

2. BandedWoodrow

BandedWoodrow Well-Known Member

Blackclouds require a specially designed choke tube due to the design of the wad. A choke tube designed for them would have it on the package.

3. archeryman.501

what kind of shells do yall prefer? All i have ever shot is winchesters and remingtons.

4. BandedWoodrow

BandedWoodrow Well-Known Member

I always have shot the Remington Sportsman shells that Fort Thompson sells for $79 a case. 2 seasons ago I decided to go high dollar and bought some Hevi Metals and they were fantastic.

5. WILDMAN44

WILDMAN44 Well-Known Member

Steel shot is about like everything else in life. You get what you pay for.

6. pearlsnaps

pearlsnaps Well-Known Member

I used black cloud choke and realized i wasnt that good of a shot. Lol
    I use regular mod. Choke now and cheaper shells than black cloud. Although i did like the shells.

7. pearlsnaps

pearlsnaps Well-Known Member

Oh and i just Winchester shells now.

8. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

I shoot black clouds out of my SBE II with a kicks high flyer modified and it patterns great!

9. Badbassn

Badbassn Premium Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Win

I have been shootin mod choke that came with the gun and Remington sportsman 3" #2 and only shot 1 cripple so far this year. it's hard for me to spend the extra $15 a box for the high end stuff. I think it's all about how good a shot you are.

10. js05_14

js05_14 Well-Known Member

The Blackclouds should work fine through the Carlson's choke. The wad of the Black Clouds don't work well with wad stripping chokes. This would be ported chokes or chokes with studs that grab the wad as it is leaving the barrell. The carlsons chokes aren't wad stripping chokes. Carlsons makes a Black Cloud choke but it is just like the standard waterfowl choke with a different coating that is supposedly slicker. It would be ideal to check your shell and choke on a pattern board.

11. seymore whitetail

seymore whitetail Well-Known Member

I got the Carlson's Black Cloud mid range choke on sale back in the spring and I love it. I'm killing more ducks this year than ever but are getting them in closer also. Let this teal get a little too close today for the Black Cloud #4's.

[​IMG]

12. quax

quax Well-Known Member

Kent 3" 3s thru a light modified: shoot em in the hole or shoot em tree top with this comb:biggrin:

13. lapdog

lapdog Well-Known Member

federal 3 1/2" #2 with a Kicks high flyer full in my Browning BPS love it.

14. Grinnel Slough

Grinnel Slough Well-Known Member

Beebe
    Stoeger 2000 with a trulock .700 remi sportsman no 2s [​IMG]
    You know it's good when u got less than 600 bucks invested and this is the how we'll it patterns.

15. Choppin

Choppin Well-Known Member

Y'all must be some skybustin fools I shoot a improved cylinder and the cheapest shells I can get... Any cheap shells will kill em in the decoys...

16. archeryman.501

You can safely shoot Black Cloud through your waterfowl set and should get very good results. Our Black Cloud tubes are the same tubes that are in the set, except that the tubes are Titanium coated. The coating does give the tube a finer finish for less wad drag and makes it a little harder, but if you maintain the chokes you have, you are good to go. Get some Black Cloud and show your friends up!! We have found in our testing that the 3” generally pattern better than the 3 1/2”, so keep using them.

That was sent to me from carlson customer service. So know I just gotta figure out what size to start with

17. waterfowler15

waterfowler15 Well-Known Member

I shoot the cheap Remington sportsman shells with a heavy shot choke in my 870 with very good patterns. It is my understanding that the heavy shot and Carlson chokes are the same... I could be wrong, but I shoot #4s. You need to try different shot sizes to find the best pattern, the type of shells is not really that big of a deal I used to shoot kent faststeel and found the Remington's pattern just as well and hit just as hard. Blew ones head off this morning at about 15 yards. Expensive shells are a little over rated in my opinion...

18. archeryman.501

i may be a little red neck but I have never patterned my gun. I dont shoot steel at nothing unless it is working my decoys

19. Choppin

Choppin Well-Known Member

Expensive shells are way over rated unless you sky bust...