Choke and Ammo Combo

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by LedZhead20, Jan 29, 2008.

1. LedZhead20

LedZhead20 Well-Known Member

I might Turkey hunt with my 870 again this year but I bought a new Benelli SBEII. I was wondering what combos you have had success with. I know every gun shoots different I just wanted to get started down the right path. Thanks

2. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

I don't personally own a Benelli, but several friends do and the best combination I've seen so sar in them is a Mad choke with heavyshot. Maybe Rocketman will get on here and give some details.

3. spur

spur Well-Known Member

nwar
    jellyhead & Win ER #6 3.5"
    or
    Rhino & Nitro 4x5x7
    The nitro's have a definite edge but the Winchester combination will do a great job past 40yds

4. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

I shoot a benelli and I use a mad max hevi shoot choke with heavy shot #6.
    Its a deadly combo!!!!:thumb:

5. browning_gold_12

browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

camden
    Rhino/Nitro 4x5x7

331 pellets in a 10'' circle at 40 yds........nuff said:thumb: BG12

6. Donnicles

Donnicles Well-Known Member

We have turkeys in Arkansas?

7. bps12

bps12 Well-Known Member

Just yesterday I tryed some winchester supreme's 3.5" #5's. I put over I was really pleased with it. At 40 yards it put 120 pellets in a 10 inch circle and 22 were directly in the 2 inch black dot. I use a browning bps 12ga. with a kicks gobbling thunder choke .670.

8. Manybeards

Nope

9. Manybeards

I've also heard that was a deadly combo.

10. Manybeards

I've been shooting a 3" 870 with Winchester Extended #6's and a M.A.D choke, which is also a deadly combination.

However this year I'll be shooting a Browning Silver 3.5" so I have to come up with a good combination for it.

11. batcutman

batcutman Well-Known Member

I have a Super Blk E 2 that i got to use last year and it likes a " Pure Gold " choke and just about any thing you put in it... i used 3.5 #5 Fed and had lots of luck with that last season.

12. Huntingfool

Huntingfool Well-Known Member

Guys at work make fun of me for paying that much for shells. I tell them that if I gonna spend all that money on calls, gas, etc. to hunt turkeys $20 or so a year for shells is pretty cheap. It shuts 'em up every time.

13. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

3" Remington Express w/ a choke a bro of mine built about 17 yrs ago.... it's patterned after a Hastings TF. I always used Federal Premium #4's, but I shot a few Remington Nitro Turkey #5's out of it earlier this week and it seems to really like them!

The 5's may not have as much "down range" energy as the 4's did/do, but the pattern was so dense I think/hope the density in the pattern will suffice for any lost energy.

14. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

I've got a Benelli SBE and it likes the plain ol' 3.5" Supreme #5's out of a Kick's .665 choke. It also does surprisingly well with 3" Federal Premium #4's.
    I plan to experiment some with Remington and Federal ammo this spring and possibly try a new choke or two if I can get anyone interested in sharing the expenses with me.