Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I went down there scouting a couple of weekends ago. I'd never been down there before, but I thought I'd better since I drew a ML tag :thumb: I didn't check out the island, but there are probably some deer out there. It was completely under water when the river was up this spring, but before that it held lots of deer and hogs. The AGFC has only had plots planted for about a month now, but they're coming up nicely and there's plenty of them. Across the levee from the north side are soybean fields, but I found soybeans in deer scat in a couple of places on the south side by the river. There are a few key places to start looking, but you should be able to find deer anywhere down there. I think the turkey hunts are pretty restrictive, but there's tons of them everywhere (in case you were interested). I don't think they have a fall turkey season though.

If you decide to go make sure you have PLENTY of Deep Woods Off, a thermacell, clothes treated with permanone and snake boots. These are not optional if you want to enjoy your stay. You might also consider taking a small bottle of vanilla extract to dab on your face - deer like the smell and gnats hate it. Keeps them off your face. The other flying critters are relentless and are hell bent on making a fella miserable. A .44/.410 pistol ain't a bad idea either to take care of the snakes and horseflies, or the occasional hog you might run into.

One more thing - good luck finding a tree to put a climber on. A good lock-on and some strap-on sticks would be better.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I hope the hunting is better early than it is late. I've hunted down there for several years and they are severly overhunting that place IMO. There are not near the number of bucks that there used to be. I have given up on it. We always hunted the north end of the island and saw a lot of bucks but, the last time we were there it was nothing but hog sign. Maybe it will be better this year :dontknow: . I can tell you this, the best places we ever found was north end of the island on the river side right where it goes from woods to fields and also after you pass the boat ramp, if the water is down, the woods between the road and the river held an unreal amount of large bucks, I guess bc noone ever went in there. :up:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.