Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Crew,

I'm probably going to plant a couple of acres of chestnut trees in the spring. I've done a lot of research in this but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience. My goal is for this to be a wildlife haven and if things go right, maybe make some extra dollars long term by harvesting the nuts. I'm going to plant them correctly with grow tubes, weed mats, etc.

Which species? American, Dunstan, or Chinese?

Which nursery? Anything local to northwest or north central Arkansas?

My terrain is sandy loam, low ph, and rocky.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I got hazed as a freshman in college I had to make necklace out of Chinese Chestnuts. I wore it all night with no shirt on and everytime some one walked by they would tap them.

To the point. In my personal opinion I wouldn't care if another Chinese Chestnut tree was ever planted again. Anywhere.

·
Premium Member
26,473 Posts
I have planted Chinese chestnuts and they produced within seven years and I think are still living. Would be 30 years old now. I have planted three Dunstan at my place now. Planted three years ago and they bloomed last year but did not fruit. I plant four American about three years ago and they all died. I am not sure long term life of Dunstan has yet to be determined. I would probably go with Chinese.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've planted all and would say Chinese and dunstans are the way to go. If you want to plant American trees for fun or to add diversity to the mix get them from the American chestnut cooperators foundation, accf. Only 20 dollars to join and you get 10 or 20 chestnuts from their breeding program with the opportunity for more after you've reported back a few years. They find large surviving trees and crossbreed them. I have one that's over20' tall and this is its 7th growing season. That being said I've planted hundreds since 2006. These are last year's I've grown in pots over the summer for fall planting.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,029 Posts
I got hazed as a freshman in college I had to make necklace out of Chinese Chestnuts. I wore it all night with no shirt on and everytime some one walked by they would tap them.

To the point. In my personal opinion I wouldn't care if another Chinese Chestnut tree was ever planted again. Anywhere.
Been there done that, sounds like a Forester to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beware the grow tubes. Had 2 die that came from grow tubes. Haven't lost one yet that was started from seed and transplanted from a pot after 2 years growth. Dunstan and Chinese are what I got from Mingoman. More energy is spent on the root system growing, than growing straight up trying to reach top of the tube. What I read good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Were they put in grow tubes when you planted in the final spot? I have heard a couple of places that tubes are bad but I hear even more accolades for them.

·
Premium Member
26,473 Posts
Personally, I have had poor luck with grow tubes. I believe the young trees grow for the top of the tube and the tree ends up being spindly and unable to support itself. Then, when it does make it out of the top, it is so weak it blows around against the top and can girdle itself or even break over where it contacts the top of the tube. I prefer a wire cage around them.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Chinese will grow fast and make a bunch of big nuts. My mom and dad had 2 of them. The spiny husks will poke through leather gloves though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I do not wish to steal this thread. I planted a couple of Chinquapin trees. There are a couple of varieties, but the Georgia Native seems to be the most popular. It bears a single nut per burr and is very prolific. The nuts are good raw, roasted etc. wildlife loves them. BTW there is a mature Chinese Chestnut planted at the observation area by the Damsite on the Little Red. In the fall it bears LOTS of nuts. The burrs are vicious!

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I did a lot of research on chestnuts over the winter and decided to go with Chinese chestnuts. I have them in pots right now for planting in the fall. I am not going with the grow tubes myself but I have seen some great results for some people that use them.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

Me too. And , thar 's a couple more of us on here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts