Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the wife are headed off to Shangri-la on Lake Ouachita Next Thursday
thru Sunday. Plan on doing tons of Bream, Bass, and mostly Catfishin. I have 5 Trotlines, 24 YO-yo's, 20 2 Liter Jugs, and 12 noodles. I am not sure how much of this junk I will have in the water but I'll be prepared for anything. I plan on using bream as much as possible for bait, live and cut. I
thought I would use some of these flavored hot dogs I keep hearing about.Does the garlic need to be Garlic salt or just garlic.
Just wondering how those of you that use them make them. How many days
does it need to marinate.

Also any other ideas about additional baits I might use. I normally just use bream but with this many hooks I thought I would try a variety. I really want
to target flatheads and 2-5 lb channels.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Try using Ol'Roy dog food on your trot lines. Just stick the point of the hook into a chunk. If you try to push all the way through the dog food chunk will break off of the hook. It dang sure works and is a cheap way to bait a line. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
The stinkbait from WalMart is about 2 bucks a bag, with about 75 nuggets of bait...

That's what we catch our blues on all the time on Indianhead. I suggest you invest in rubber gloves though. The wife makes me otherwise I'm sleeping on the couch!:smack:

·
Registered
719 Posts
I haven't used it before,but I read where you could take hotdog chunks and soak them in a mixture of garlic salt and strawberry koolaid and it supposed to be a good channel cat bait. It didn't say how long to soak them, but I would guess the longer the better.If you try it let us know if it works.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I haven't used it before,but I read where you could take hotdog chunks and soak them in a mixture of garlic salt and strawberry koolaid and it supposed to be a good channel cat bait. It didn't say how long to soak them, but I would guess the longer the better.If you try it let us know if it works.
HG read about that in Outdoor Life.......had his son pick up all the stuff......never did try it though.......never could get out on the sandbar to catfish

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Buckhorn,

To make the stinky hot dogs I usually pick up 2-3 packs of Rodeo hot dogs, or whatever is cheap.

Anyway, get the marinade ready first. I use a rubbermaid container so it doesn't stink up the fridge, and I can carry it in my truck and boat without losing any. I dump in 2 packs of cherry koolaid (I actually use Wyler's - cheaper) and enough water to dissolve the mix. Don't put in any sugar. I then press 4-5 cloves of garlic into the mix - you can cut them up or leave them whole, but I think pressing them releases more garlic juice and is more potent. I slice the dogs up so I get 6-8 chunks from each hot dog, then dump them in the marinade. I'd stir them a couple of times after an hour or so so they look more uniform. The meat will absorb most of the coloring from the water, so if you re-use it, the next batch won't turn nearly as red as the 1st. It may still work just fine, but I always add a pack of koolaid if I reuse the marinade.

When I put the chunks on a hook I run the hook through the far edge, run it up on the shaft of the hook, then pull it back down so the hook runs through the opposite side of the hot dog. The Rodeos are almost always the cheapest at Walmart, but I like 'em a little thicker so I can run a #5 hook through them twice like this, but they work just fine on #3 or #4 hooks. The turtles have a harder time stealing them that way, and I catch more cats than just running the hook through the middle :up:

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOO HOO. 15 more minutes of work and I am outta here. Looks like the weather is going tol cooperate. Fishing might be a little slow right after this front but shouldn't slow down too bad. I've had my stinky dogs made since
Monday night. I think I will use the stinky dogs, bream, and bass minnows.

I will update you when we get back.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well we got back. Had a absolutely wonderful time with the wife. Fishing was not near as good as was hoping. The bream were just beginning to move up. Catfishing had dropped considerably from the week before so I was told.
We caught 15 Cats in 3 nights. All channels and blues. I guess what was really odd is that we did not catch a single Catfish on bream or bass minnows. We caught every catfish on the Cherry Coolaid/Garlic/Hot Dog.
I disected most of the fish I caught and the channels were full of little worms
and fresh water shrimp. All we caught on bream was one big pickeral. We
did catch a 15" crappie on bass minnows. I have a few pics in the wifes camera. If I am able to get them I will try to show a few fish. All the catfish
was from 1.5-5 lbs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.