Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a map of the Cherokee WMA in independence county? I am new to the area and am looking at possible place to hunt and want to see the area of the WMA before I spend 20 bucks on a permit I will never use. Also does anyone know how the hunting is there?

·
Moderator<br>Help Forum<br>
792 Posts
The hunting can be outstanding or it can be a bust. Just depends on the area. I've hunted it around Drasco and have seen a lot of deer in there. Never seen any big deer but my in-laws have taken some nice bucks out of there over the past few years.

I don't think there is a digital map for Cherokee. Most places will at least let you look at the map before you buy the permit. I know The Country Store in Drasco will.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The hunting can be outstanding or it can be a bust. Just depends on the area. I've hunted it around Drasco and have seen a lot of deer in there. Never seen any big deer but my in-laws have taken some nice bucks out of there over the past few years.

I don't think there is a digital map for Cherokee. Most places will at least let you look at the map before you buy the permit. I know The Country Store in Drasco will.
I hunt that area and that is exactly right, I hunt in zone 8 primarily but do venture into 6 once in a while. There is a good bit of access on Doug Hill Rd and Tannenbaun Rd off of Silver Ridge Rd. Just be mindful of the locals and look out for other hunters in the area. Lots in Zone 8 and not so much in 6 north of 92. There are a lot of Bears in the area as well, so read up on that as well.

·
Moderator<br>Help Forum<br>
792 Posts
I hunt that area and that is exactly right, I hunt in zone 8 primarily but do venture into 6 once in a while. There is a good bit of access on Doug Hill Rd and Tannenbaun Rd off of Silver Ridge Rd. Just be mindful of the locals and look out for other hunters in the area. Lots in Zone 8 and not so much in 6 north of 92. There are a lot of Bears in the area as well, so read up on that as well.
I live just down from Dug Hill Rd. Some good deer around here if you're willing to work for them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am definitly up to work for the deer does not bother me at all. I got a large deer last year between crawling on the ground and moving my stand over night because i always seemed to be out of place. But the last day of my four day weekend I bagged it. It is now on my wall behind me as I speak. Work always pays off. It took a few years and getting my dad to stop hunting my stands while I was off from college. He also bagged a wall hanger a few years ago off my stand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.