Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
I dont think the regs are that bad. Better safe than sorry when you're talking about hunting close to a bunch of houses. Also, if you're hunting there, you're much more likey to bump into someone who doesnt hunt or may have mixed emotions about hunting. Think of it that way...
Heck, 1/2 of those are just state regs anyhow.

·
Administrator
87,241 Posts
A lot more AREN'T state law than ARE state law.

Pay a $35 annual confirmation fee, which includes membership in the Arkansas Bowhunters Association (ABA) for liability insurance purposes.

Attend an urban hunting seminar.

Take and pass the International Bowhunter Education Course.

Use a longbow, recurve or compound bow with at least a 40-pound pull and arrowheads at least 7/8-inch wide. Special considerations will be made for disabled hunters in wheelchairs.

Pass a shooting proficiency test [i.e., three consecutive hunting arrows shot from a legal hunting bow held at full draw by only the archer’s muscles. All three arrows must hit within or cut the line of the heart/lung area of a life-size deer target at a distance set by the test administrator (up to 20 yards)].

Hunt without the use of string locks.

Possess a valid Arkansas (Resident or Nonresident) Sportsman’s License. Hunters must be at least 16 years of age.

Possess a valid Urban Bowhunting Permit (issued at hunter orientation).

Possess written permission from the property owner if hunting on private property.

Keep all bows cased to and from stands.

Shoot from stands only (no walking, stalking or ground blinds).

Hunt from stands that are a minimum of 10 feet above the ground.

Hunt 50 yards off designated trails or parks.

Hunt at least 100 yards from any occupied dwelling without written permission.

Bag or cover harvested animals from sight before removing.

Remove harvested animals during daylight hours if at all possible.

Check deer at the Baseheart Fire Station in Cherokee Village.

Donation of deer to Arkansas Hunters Feeding the Hungry (A 501C-3 charitable organization) is encouraged.

Display the vehicle permit in full view on the dashboard of their vehicle and carry the approved permit.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
Ok, maybe 1/2 was an exaggerated figure.
Still, the Cherokee Village combined with the AGFC combined with the ABA has given deer hunters a special opportunity. Heck, shoot all the deer you want with no restriction on sex or antlers! It really surprises me that it seems like all everyone on this site wants to do is sit around and b..... ummm....complain about it.
If I was any closer to there, I'd be all over it. I guess thats good for the folks who can recognize a genuine opportunity, better odds for them.

·
Administrator
87,241 Posts
It just looks to me that they are going way overboard in the rules and regs. Why not just let people apply for a permit and if drawn then hunt, just like it is on every WMA in the state?? If a guy has to work on the day of the "Exams", tough luck.

The shooting proficiency test is something that rubs me wrong, too. How long before we start having a "shooting proficiency test" to buy a hunting license?? Why limit it to people 16 and over?? Shouldn't one aspect of the AGFC be to promote hunting, especially to the youth??

These rules sound more like they were set up by the yankees that live in CV. I hope the AGFC didn't come up with these silly rules.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,500 Posts
It just looks to me that they are going way overboard in the rules and regs. Why not just let people apply for a permit and if drawn then hunt, just like it is on every WMA in the state?? If a guy has to work on the day of the "Exams", tough luck.

The shooting proficiency test is something that rubs me wrong, too. How long before we start having a "shooting proficiency test" to buy a hunting license?? Why limit it to people 16 and over?? Shouldn't one aspect of the AGFC be to promote hunting, especially to the youth??

These rules sound more like they were set up by the yankees that live in CV. I hope the AGFC didn't come up with these silly rules.
Ya just hafta take a week of vacation bro, look at the comraderie that you'll have with all them other crazies:biggrin:it'll be like being in boot camp again:fit::fit::up:

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think those are simlar rules to the other urban hunts. Also, I think they're similar rules to organized urban hunts nationwide.
If you're going to have folks hunting 100yds down the street from a neighborhood full of those yankees, you better put your best foot forward. I think a few extra rules are worth it. You can take the attitude of "Hey Yank, you're in Arkysaw now, and this is how we roll..." but the fact of the matter is their vote counts just as much as yours does. In fact, since you dont live in CV, if they decide to pass a law banning bowhunting in the city limits, they're vote's worth a whole ton more than yours.

·
Administrator
87,241 Posts
In fact, since you dont live in CV, if they decide to pass a law banning bowhunting in the city limits, they're vote's worth a whole ton more than yours.
That's why they are having the urban hunt. I hunted CV for years back in the 80's and then they banned hunting. This is the way it always ends up, the do-gooders want hunting banned, then they bellyache when the deer are eating their flowers and gardens, and they start hitting them with their cars. They want it both ways.

Frankly, I could care less. I won't be there anyway. Between my son and I, we kill more deer than we need every year off our own property, and I don't have to worry about following the silly rules. I give venison away every year. Maybe someone that needs the meat will have an opportunity to kill one.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Just think about all the tree huggin yankee dogooder protesters you will have to cross to get to a stand.
I was once hunting on a friends place near Calimine and an old 80 something yr old women came by my stand and started chunking rocks at me. When I came down she chased me off swinging a fry pan at me. No joke.The funniest thing I ever saw. I can see this happening at CV.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Yeah! Chitlin, I can remember back in the 70's when a certain Grizzly Adams Look'n Walnut Ridge "hammertime" duck guide use to have his entire troop of outlaws in Cherokee Village on opening day. They would turn the dogs lose at eight o'clock and run the roads with their bronco's and CB's and shot everything that moved. It was like something out of Toombstone with the gunplay that went on there.

There are reasons why the citizens of Cherokee Village want such tight restrictions. I'll never hunt there. Have my own land just a few miles south as the crow flies. But I do understand their reasoning.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
Yeah! Chitlin, I can remember back in the 70's when a certain Grizzly Adams Look'n Walnut Ridge "hammertime" duck guide use to have his entire troop of outlaws in Cherokee Village on opening day. They would turn the dogs lose at eight o'clock and run the roads with their bronco's and CB's and shot everything that moved. It was like something out of Toombstone with the gunplay that went on there.

There are reasons why the citizens of Cherokee Village want such tight restrictions. I'll never hunt there. Have my own land just a few miles south as the crow flies. But I do understand their reasoning.
That's funny, the "hammertime" guy my Jonesboro buddy's cousin. Never met the dude, but I hear he's a little crazy.

Also, Bella Vista (where I live) is no different than CV in this deal. The same kind of things used to happen before they banned firing guns in the village (I believe in the mid 90's). It's sad that you cant just open up a semi-residential area like that to open hunting, but it's a also a fact.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.