Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Special Deerhunt Lottery.........will be held to rid the area of nuisance deer.....anyone with a valid hunting license is eligible!:eek: Story in the news this AM....ch. 11 has it.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Cherokee Village is West of Ash Flat, and South of Mammoth Spring. I think it is in Fulton County.

I was up in Saddle and Mammoth Spring all day last Thursday with the AGFC PLB's and never I never herd anything about a deer hunt, but sure saw lots of deer all day!!!

Nothing on the KTHV website about deer, but they had Wildman on this morning talking about the Fishing Derby for kids this coming weekend at the fish hatcherys. One of the State Hacherys is in Mammoth Spring. On the Spring River.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Made the front page of the DemGaz. As usual there are a few who are poorly to misinformed as to how this works and likely will not accept it even if they finally are made to understand how it works. One female person made tongue in cheek remarks as to hunters had better stay off 'her' street or they may lose and arm or leg. Another said it is just people who need their egos stroked who hunt.

·
56,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd for sure contact AGFC if you want a chance to get drawn.... I heard there's some monster racks.....nothing ventured nothing gained!:wink:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I agree Tony about what you said. I own and lease across the highway of the village. As bad and thick as the deer have and will become in this area the elders {mostly retired northeners} see no problems. They only think of them as pets. I guess in a few years when they are eat up with cwd the AGFC had better have a back up plan. The hunters have to complete a class before they can put in for the lottery, then get drawn, and then the hardest part get permission to hunt. I have known some of these people for ten years or better and would consider some as friends and I have zero doubt in my mind they would not let me or anyone else hunt on their land.

·
56,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The story that ran at daylight was that there had been complaints about the deer, and that all you needed to get drawn was a valid Ar. hunting license!

·
56,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't let anything discourage you from applying for this special hunt....if you get picked, and they want you to take a quickie course...no big deal[you can always quit then]and don't be discouraged because you doubt there being any trophy deer....venison is venison, and deer hunting is deer hunting.....GO FOR IT!!

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
If I was close to there, I think I'd look into it.
First off, I dont think these special urban hunt deer count to your limit, right?
Second off, big bucks are where you find em. Any place that hasnt had any hunting for couple dozen years might be a good place to start. The biggest bucks I've ever seen in this state have all been within city limits.
My experience hunting in Bella Vista is that urban deer hunting has it's own set of challenges. The deer around my house seem to be extra hard to pattern.

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
Made the front page of the DemGaz. As usual there are a few who are poorly to misinformed as to how this works and likely will not accept it even if they finally are made to understand how it works. One female person made tongue in cheek remarks as to hunters had better stay off 'her' street or they may lose and arm or leg. Another said it is just people who need their egos stroked who hunt.
Now this chick is crazy............you don't threaten a person with a weapon that KNOWS how to use it!!

And Yep I need MY EGO stroked so stay out of my way!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,207 Posts
I hunted Cherokee Village for years, the '70's till they closed it a few years ago, and I'd love to draw a permit. There are way too many deer on that place. I've hunted all over it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.