Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kinda upset about the price of corn. I guess I am going to have to start hunting again vs. filling a corn feeder and waiting. Does anybody know anything else to find other thatn planting a plot?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Oats are productive and not too pricy. Regular oats not " Buck Forage oats" . Can't really see any difference between the two except the price. Rye grass or Rape work well also. Turnip greens are favorites of whitetail and peas.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
12% non-medicated cattle pellets. They'll hit, maybe not as hard as corn but it's better for them. I built a trough to feed this and keep it dry plus if I can mix in corn, rice bran or both if I decide I want/need to.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
and possum's 12% pellets really makes my coon and squirrel crop fat and healthy.:cool:
Brother ain't that the truth. I've got squirrels as big as coons and coons bigger than beagles hanging out at that thing. But I don't care though makes 'em all taste better. :thumb:

Turkey will even hit it. :up:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I prescribed burned 26 acres of go-back fields one year in early winter that included a 1-/12 acre foodplot of fertilized winter wheat & crimson clover. The deer immediately stopped eating the foodplot that I had chisel plowed. disked, fertilized, culti-packed & seeded & fed exclusively on the re-growth in the burned old fields (mainly broomsedge it sprouted back & grew in the dead of the winter, didnt know it would do that). Ive been told the Indians burned in September to get a late season re-growth for fall hunting season. Im going to try it in early fall one of these days. The new sprouts after a fire are supposed to be high in protein. Seems like an economical way to turn a growed up field into protein. Actually, Im going to pay the Arkansas Forestry Commission to do it. Afer trying it on my own a couple of times all I ended up doing was frantically putting out fire where I didnt want it to burn and scaring the hell out of myself.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I also am feeding these 12% pellets and the answer is yes you can--it's just that if they get wet they will gum up and/or dissolve---around $7.50 per 50# the deer are eating around 250 lbs in 6 days by gravity feeding.
Thanks. With the weather we're having, Reggie isn't too worried about these pellets getting wet.

Do you think that a mix of pellets and corn would work well (not gum up or all run out) in a feeder with a timer. Reggie's looking for something to mix his corn with to help offset the price.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
Have I got a deal for you fellers!
Corn too expensive? This fall you can have all the white oak acorns you want... FREE! I bet you could fill up a truck bed from my front yard. All you have to do is come over with a rake, but you have to take the leaves with you while you're raking up the acorns.
I'll be off hunting, you'll get your feed, and the wife wont be on to me about the leaves. That's a WIN - WIN - WIN situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.