Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Charles Daly 22-250 from Hillbilly Archer the other day. He let me have the mounts, which i believe are weaver mounts. A 40mm is as big as he could mount on it. I want to go with a 50mm and still stay as low as i can. Can i just get the weaver style rings, and what "height" do i need. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
Are the mounts a rail that you attach the rings to or is it actually the ring type mount? If it's a rail, just take the rings you've got to the store and get the next size up. Or you could take it to a good gun shop and have them mount the scope for you and you won't have to guess.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Are the mounts a rail that you attach the rings to or is it actually the ring type mount? If it's a rail, just take the rings you've got to the store and get the next size up. Or you could take it to a good gun shop and have them mount the scope for you and you won't have to guess.:thumb:
That's the best way.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
It's also going to depend on the scope because different mfg's have different designs, meaning the bell of a Bushnell may be smaller/larger than say a Nikon. I've had 50mm scopes that would work with a "mid" mount and try another scope of the same size and it set down on the barrel before the front mount.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, fellas. Possum, i was wondering about the different manafactures sizes. Yes, they are the rail type, and that is what i hped to do. If i order from Natchez or Midway, where do i measure from to determine what i have/need?

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I really can't give you something to measure. What I did was look at what It would take to get the clearance needed and then took my old rings to the store with me and compared it to the heights of the others. I don't know how much space you need but if you don't need much sometimes you can slide the scope forward a little and get it to clear. Myself, I never liked that option because I think the scope should fit to my liking and not what it takes to get it on the rifle.

Another thing to take into account is the AO. Is it smooth or does it have a raised lobe on it and would it need to pass between the barrel and the scope?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts