Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been shooting Remington Yellowjackets the past few years but I wanted to try something a little faster this year so I bought some of the CCI HP's first time out I was impressed but this morning was a huge disappointment I had 4 rounds literally bend/break in between shots I was like wat the h*** is goin on :banghead: I never had that happen before a few misfires but never this I still managed to evict all the tenants from the tree but this was one crazy morning. Anybody ever have these problems and whats your ammo of choice?

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
The only problem I've ever had with a bullet was a box of Federals that would swell when shot and had to be drove out. The only time I've had the bending problem was with a semi-auto and cleaning the feed ramp solved that problem and I've had a few misfires from them all. As far as ammo of choice, right now it's the Remington's the next one I buy who knows.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,272 Posts
The problem you're having is a common one........especially with hollowpoints. Fouling[clean yer rifles receiver and associated moving parts] [make sure the barrel is still seated solidly in the receiver] and in the case of a Marlin auto, [you may have enough wear to start fumbling the round on it's way to the chamber.] Try solid pointed rounds...you don't need HPs. CCIs are my all time favorite for price vs performance. I never shoot HPs unless it's through a pistol or single shot rifle. TJMHO and it ain't worth much.:up:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The problem you're having is a common one........especially with hollowpoints. Fouling[clean yer rifles receiver and associated moving parts] [make sure the barrel is still seated solidly in the receiver] and in the case of a Marlin auto, [you may have enough wear to start fumbling the round on it's way to the chamber.] Try solid pointed rounds...you don't need HPs. CCIs are my all time favorite for price vs performance. I never shoot HPs unless it's through a pistol or single shot rifle. TJMHO and it ain't worth much.:up:
x2

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I had a CCI CB that didn't make it out of my barrel the other day. It barely made a noise the possum I was shooting at didn't even flinch so I was like what the heck. I almost reloaded but thought I'd better check the barrel just in case. I pulled the bolt and tried to look down the barrel and nothing but blackness. I went to walmart and got a cheap cleaning rod and pushed it out. It was about six inches from the end of the barrel.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
And different .22's like different ammo for whatever reason..........

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Which CCI's were you using? I've shot thousands of Mini Mag's and never had a problem from my 10/22. 2-3 out of my MK-II but after cleaning the feed ramp out it was fine. (when i did have the bent ones in the pistol I burnt through about 2 bricks since the last cleaning so it was overdue a good cleaning)

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I have had good luck with cci ammo and that is what I use. Remington yellowjackets are the worst grouping 22s I have ever tried. I have used federal bulk some too but I can hear the difference between shots some are loud some not so loud.
I haven't found any remington 22 ammo that shoots good in my guns beside the subsonic hollow points.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I can attest to them being very picky I started out with yellowjackets then went to subsonics and now CCI I think my Savage likes any HP but the CCI's are alot quicker is why i switched!!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
For you guys that have had problems with Federal .22 ammo, you might check their website for recalls. I bought an open-box special at Walmart a couple of years ago of Federal Auto Match and about every other shot I could watch the bullet leave the barrel. I heard about a recall, and sure enough I had some of the bad batch. A phone call and 1 week later I had 2 brand new boxes of FAM and a nice letter of apology. They just asked me to make sure to dispose of the bad lot I had 'properly' (whatever that means. I threw it in the trash).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts