Cattle feed in deer feeder??

Discussion in 'Quality Deer Management' started by nwaneal, Feb 15, 2016.

1. nwaneal

nwaneal Well-Known Member

I was out yesterday looking at the costs of corn, minerals, etc and noticed that cattle pellets were less expensive than corn and when you read the labels, it delivers a higher protein content than corn as well. Talking about 13% all stock pellets. Any reason why adding this to my corn feeder would be worse than running 100% corn? It would be on a timer so it wouldn't be all you they can eat buffet.

Anybody else tried this?

2. Earnhardt fan #1

Earnhardt fan #1 Premium Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winn

3. dspeakes

dspeakes Grand Member<br> 2006 Spring Turkey Team Contest W

We feed a lot of cattle pellets in the spring and summer.

4. nwaneal

Are you running 100% cattle feed or mixing it with corn? What ratio!

5. dspeakes

I try to only use higher protein feed, not corn. In automatic feeders, I have to mix with corn or the pellets don't come out of the feeder properly and jam up. Most of the time now I use trough feeders and use cattle pellets, deer pellets, or Deer 365. I also keep out minerals year round but the deer mainly use them in spring and summer. We killed an adult doe for an AGFC herd health check a few years ago and he told us we had the healthiest deer he had seen. I told him it was due to supplemental feeding and minerals but he did not want to believe me. I also feed soybeans when I can get them. We plant ladino clover, oats, and turnips each fall as well.

6. nwaneal

Thanks dspeakes, my apologies for the exclamation mark, that was supposed to be a question mark :). I like your idea of only running enough corn to get the pellets to throw out of the feeder correctly. If the pellets stay below corn, this is going to be my new strategy. We are planning to run timed feeders year round to help the deer thru winter and spring.

7. Earnhardt fan #1

Earnhardt fan #1 Premium Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winn

Like dspeakes I feed troughs or with a protien pellet feeder and started out with a 50/50 mix then went full on 14/16% protien pellets

8. emerson

emerson Well-Known Member

I would like to know will the squrrels eat them ? They get to the feeder about a hour before they go off and carry off corn all day .

9. dspeakes

Squirrels will eat the pellets and coons will too. I have not had any squirrels, hogs, or coons eat the Deer 365. Not sure what is in it but the deer where I hunt like it and everything else leaves it alone.

Michael Whitworth likes this.
  10. b8hickman

b8hickman Well-Known Member

IMG_20141021_085608.jpg IMG_20150814_100630786_HDR.jpg

I used to feed the 20% cattle cubes in a trough. I started mixing it with corn and rice bran then cut it back to mainly cubes. The deer loved it! Unfortunately last year bears found both my feeders and tore them both up, thanks AGFC!

11. Michael Whitworth

Michael Whitworth Member

Thats crazy I think Im gonna get some of that lol

JB Weld likes this.
  12. Scott2506

Scott2506 Member