catfishing

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by andyr, Dec 21, 2010.

1. andyr

andyr Member<br>2013-14 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

i wanted to here some catfish tips everybody's got a secret lets here um

2. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

Really no big secrets. A good heavy rod and reel. I use Doc's most of the time. I got skip jack in freezer. Gonna use them this summer at the Hydro. I use a slip sinker, barrel swivel then a leader. Tipped with Doc's worm or 6/0 circle hook for bait fish. Find a deep hole in the river.

3. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    Running water, 5 or 6/0 circle hook, 40 pound test, lots of swivels, 5"-10" live shad or skipjack, throw below dam or generator and wait, and you don't wait long.

4. catfish1

catfish1 Well-Known Member

drown m slicks & wait for bite

5. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

If you are gonna fish a near by lake, you bait the area with soured grain such as soy beans, milo ect.... Sweet feed will work too. Just mark a spot with a GPS or a structure. For best results for baiting do it in the shallows. It will also draw in bait fish for other types of fishing as well. You'll see it on here soon, but cheap red hotdogs marinade in strawberry Kool aid and minced garlic works ok. Caught a few on this.

6. POPSBOY

POPSBOY Well-Known Member

What he said. There are some guys on Nimrod lake that tear them up over bait every summer.

7. headhunter_60

headhunter_60 Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

8. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

Never did much rod fishing but we always use small grinnel for trot lines. That is when we could find them.

9. Vetrock

Vetrock Well-Known Member

I mainly trotline, limbline, and yo-yo. I target Flatheads because they are the best to eat, and they eat LIVE bait. Usually the livelier the better. If your fishing in the daytime, then find the deep holes. At night, bait the shallows. Bigger bait equals fewer fish, but bigger fish. In fact, when I am looking for a big boy, I'll use a 6" bullhead "mudcat" for bait.

In my opinion, the best place to put a trotline in a smaller river is too stretch it across the river in a curve. Find a curve that is deep on the outside, and the inside is shallow. That way you are targeting cats no matter if it is day or night.

Flatheads stay in deep holes most of the time, so if you can find a deep hole that has no current or the current is reversed with swift current very near by, then that is where they are sitting. They stage there waiting for something to float by. Rock pilings, downed trees, or sheer banks in current usually fit the bill.

Have fun!

10. shotgun wg

Vet rock try the bayou just above a drift(log jam ) with some grinnel bout 6" long them flatheads tear em up.

11. Vetrock

I've never been lucky enough to find the schools of grinnel to use them for bait. Any secret? I have a couple of farm ponds with an endless supply of mud cats.

12. Vetrock

I have a question though. The deep hole on a logjam is usually on the backside of the current. I've often wondered if bait upstream of the drift would work, because that way the scent of the bait is flowing into the logjam. I've tried both, and it seems like I catch more downstream when the bait is sitting in the hole.

13. shotgun wg

As far as grennel we always got ours from a break that drained into cutoff creek u could catch them with a sain out of the drain right after a rain. On the drift deal yes u wanna be up stream of it on the deep side of the channel atleast that is where we set ours them ol big flats will lay up under the jams.