Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to Merrisach in early October to do some camping and fishing. (First trip to Merrisach) Primarily catfishing..... Still undecided whether to pull my boat. Question.... How's the bank fishing for catfish?
Thanks
UA.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Going to Merrisach in early October to do some camping and fishing. (First trip to Merrisach) Primarily catfishing..... Still undecided whether to pull my boat. Question.... How's the bank fishing for catfish?
Thanks
UA.
The last time I was there, vegetation along the bank would have hindered fishing without a boat.
I did snag a bass or two from a rare open pocket, but finding a place to cast wasn’t easy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing. Fished there quite a bit when I was young, but there was no such thing as bank access because of all the lilly pads. You had to come in from the river on a boat.

Catfishing would be much better just up the channel where they load the grain barges anyway.

·
Registered
31,494 Posts
Say hello to Wild Goose folks. Course, they probably weren't born last time I was there. LOL. Cross that bridge over the canal, go a few miles, maybe Nady Road (?).... there's a red brick church on the left. Pull in to the right of that church, drive back a good ways to a cow pasture. We camped in that pasture, although Gifford had a house and dog pens there. Hunted 300 acres of close to virgin hardwood on past that. That was the 2nd place we hunted. Moved there when AGFC bought all that land and made Trusten Holder.

Back up and go down what I think I remember as "Wild Goose Lane" to the big parking lot. Been a long time. Right at that parking lot, look across the White to the far bank. Go across river, get off at that bank, walk a few feet and there was an old huge houseboat tied up on land except in flooding. That was the first deer camp. Somehow that is either close or smack dab in Trusten Holder. But it was private back then. Dozens of long established deer camps. The story of how AGFC got that land still sticks in my craw. My geography and memory may be off some. But I could go down there again I think and find it. Heck, I may do that someday.

Reactions: R6mm

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
That’s the route I would go. Do you know what dates you will be down there? There are a lot of smaller bodies of water around that hold a lot of catfish. It’s a great spot for catfishing. You can run just out of Merr up the channel and drop jugs and drift them across the riprap in the channel and do pretty well. If you’re boat is big enough you can run out into the Arkansas and find a good sandbar close to some riprap and fish pole n line. You looking for sport or meat? You can catch a limit of little channels and blues in no time. Should be cool enough by then to not have too much worry with gators, but keep an eye out, there’s some Big gators around that area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s the route I would go. Do you know what dates you will be down there? There are a lot of smaller bodies of water around that hold a lot of catfish. It’s a great spot for catfishing. You can run just out of Merr up the channel and drop jugs and drift them across the riprap in the channel and do pretty well. If you’re boat is big enough you can run out into the Arkansas and find a good sandbar close to some riprap and fish pole n line. You looking for sport or meat? You can catch a limit of little channels and blues in no time. Should be cool enough by then to not have too much worry with gators, but keep an eye out, there’s some Big gators around that area.
Meat (fillets) Oct 5-12. Camping in D loop

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thanks
UA.
I’ll save you some time wondering if you need to bring your boat that is a definite yes. I highly doubt you will do any good whether on the bank or in a boat out on the lake.Your best bet would be like someone said above to run up the canal to Arkansas river channel which is usually really good.The problem its been so dry they have not been running any water in a couple of months which means dead water not ideal for catfish.And with the current weather trend I don’t see it changing.Your best bet if you want a mess of fish is leave the park with your boat and go to the parking lot and ramps buckrub was talking about.The road is straight across from the park entrance road.It will take you to the white river it will have guaranteed water flow and usually good fishing.It’s your trip and your choice to do as you want but I’m shooting ya straight if you want a fish supper go there or your probably going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ll save you some time wondering if you need to bring your boat that is a definite yes. I highly doubt you will do any good whether on the bank or in a boat out on the lake.Your best bet would be like someone said above to run up the canal to Arkansas river channel which is usually really good.The problem its been so dry they have not been running any water in a couple of months which means dead water not ideal for catfish.And with the current weather trend I don’t see it changing.Your best bet if you want a mess of fish is leave the park with your boat and go to the parking lot and ramps buckrub was talking about.The road is straight across from the park entrance road.It will take you to the white river it will have guaranteed water flow and usually good fishing.It’s your trip and your choice to do as you want but I’m shooting ya straight if you want a fish supper go there or your probably going to be disappointed.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I fish that area quite a bit and have for years. If you're anchor fishing I wouldn't mess with the Arkansas, no current flow. That could change if we happen to get lots of rain. I wouldn't count on it tho. I would go to wild goose and put in on the white. 12 miles down is the Mississippi. Once you get below benzel bridge on the white no limit on catchfish. I was there for a week the end of August and done really good. Usually not a problem catching a mess of cats even on a bad day. As far as a boat goes, I wouldn't go without one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I fish that area quite a bit and have for years. If you're anchor fishing I wouldn't mess with the Arkansas, no current flow. That could change if we happen to get lots of rain. I wouldn't count on it tho. I would go to wild goose and put in on the white. 12 miles down is the Mississippi. Once you get below benzel bridge on the white no limit on catchfish. I was there for a week the end of August and done really good. Usually not a problem catching a mess of cats even on a bad day. As far as a boat goes, I wouldn't go without one.
Thanks for the info.
Is there a store/bait shop there?

·
Registered
31,494 Posts
White Goose store not there anymore?

Crazy memory. I have an old 14' flatbottom down at the farm. My late Father in Law grabbed me one hot day in deer camp and we took that boat (6 horse evinrude) from that parking lot to the Mississippi. Immediately turned around and came back. Not sure how we had enough gas. Crazy trip but I got to see a lot of stuff that day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts