Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's close to spawning time and the Catalpa Worms are on the trees. Here we bait holes with sweet feed or grain every year. The fishing will get unreal right after the Catfish spawn as they will be hungry and will congregate on feed . My neighbor and I limited out on Catalp Worms yesterday in about 2 hours. It should only get better as the bigger females will be through spawning real soon. The next several weeks is prime time for Channel Catfish.:clap:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We use sweet feed most of the time. I like to find a stump or put in a stakebed made with wood pallets. This is usually on a channel drop. Pour a sack of feed over it and then add 1/2 sack every day or two. Man those cats will bunch up right after the spawn. The longer you bait the better it gets on a good spot. We usually take a bucket of feed while fishing and scatter hand fulls around the boat each time the bite slows. Then dump the rest after we quit fishing. The fish sometimes get so used to being fed that they rise up to the surface and eat when we scatter the feed. It's not unusal to limit out in just a couple hours most days on a good hole.:up:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's great to hear. :up:
You think they'll still be on, say, maybe, 'morning of July 19?????? :whistle:
..........strong hint implied...

Tommy
UNSURE ? But good possiability. The gas and feed both so expensive I might not be able to feed very long this year. You just watch the forums and I'll keep you posted.

Fish or NIMROD , depending on which forum your on at the time.:up:

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
UNSURE ? But good possiability. The gas and feed both so expensive I might not be able to feed very long this year. You just watch the forums and I'll keep you posted.

Fish or NIMROD , depending on which forum your on at the time.:up:
I understand you. If Id have planned better tomorrow may have worked but family needs dictate otherwise.
I'll read and holler your way when I can.
Thanks,
Tommy

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
What exactly is sweet feed? I have never baited a hole but have been catching a lot of cats and want to try it. I think I got a good spot. Can i get it at any feed store and how much do i need to buy?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What exactly is sweet feed? I have never baited a hole but have been catching a lot of cats and want to try it. I think I got a good spot. Can i get it at any feed store and how much do i need to buy?
I buy several sacks of sweet feed (sweet 9) at the co-op. I dump one on a spot then 1/2 sack every day or so. The day we fish only toss in a few handfulls while fishing. Repeat when bite slows and then dump the rest of the 1/2 sack when through fishing. Real complicated.:fit:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.