Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 120 Posts

· Registered
5,138 Posts
Vertebrate Plant Branch Mammal Organism

Fawn Carnivore Grass Terrestrial animal Groundcover

Camouflage Hunting Military camouflage Smile Tire

night 2. Using 6 MB 550’s in dirt hole sets. Caught bobcat and fox last night so we are now at 3/6 on catches in just 48 hours. Bobcat put on a show lunging and growling. Boy is hooked. He wants more traps. lol.

ground is really frozen this am. I left the thrown traps and plan to go back around lunch and reset when ground has thawed. I gotta come up with some dry dirt.

· Registered
5,138 Posts
Plant Plant community Grass Groundcover Natural landscape

we are up to 2 bobcats and 2 foxes total. Still waiting on yote #1. Spooked one yote last night with the game cam but that issue has been resolved.
Not real sure what our plan should be for the winter weather coming. Just leave em set and remake after the nasty frozen stuff falls?
Son was pumped again with this huge female bobcat. I bet she was 30lbs but haven’t weighed her yet.

· Registered
5,138 Posts
First Yote! I wasn’t expecting anything today as my traps weren’t really prepped to withstand the winter weather yesterday. 3 of my
6 dirt holes were visited. 2 of them were really hammered but the trap / pan was all frozen. 1 of them… Yote!!!

got 3 of the 6 cleaned up a bit and set. The others I didn’t fool with. Got to get warmer and get some wax dirt made up to do much better.
Carnivore Dog breed Dog Fawn Wolf

· Registered
5,138 Posts
Yall are having a ball I bet....

Congratulations....be careful that trapping bug bites hard....
To be honest my traps were frozen up (I thought) so I was shocked I had catches. I didn’t check them earlier today. I had a ranger crew full of kids headed to the deer blinds when we came up on these two yotes. The kids were pumped! Lol.

I think I’m going to pull them for now and set out a bunch of DP’s for the coons for a week or so and then make some fresh dirt holes after that. I guess I’m thinking that may help with preventing them from being trap shy by rotating away from the dirt holes for a bit.
Wood Asphalt Road surface Automotive tire Gas

· Registered
5,138 Posts
Haven’t updated in a while. I’ve been trying to keep a few dirt holes set. Between the short days (busy working) and the rain it’s been tough keeping sets good. That being said we’ve managed to increase totals to 7 Yotes, 5 fox, 2 bobcat, and 1 skunk all from dirt holes. A few possum and coons from DP’s.

Got out early this am and spent a couple hours adding some more dirt holes and resetting some that had recent catches. I’ve got a dozen good dirt holes ready again. Hopefully will have some good pics tomorrow.

· Registered
5,138 Posts
Question for y’all on marking sets. All my
Stuff is on my own private ground. No need to conceal anything. I thought about getting some white clothes pins or regular close pins with a little flagging to clip on a branch near the sets. Right now I’m just remembering where my sets are. So far I haven’t lost or forgotten any but as I catch and move sets I’m sure I’m going to lose one.
Will a little flagging / marking near the set alarm yotes ? I know for bobcats flagging is actually an attractant.

· Registered
5,138 Posts
We’ll last night was horrible. Only slight chance of rain when I did my sets yesterday am. By the evening the “slight chance” turned into 1/4”. Frustrating. The rain really messes up my sets. I haven’t been using pan covers. I guess I should use some wax paper which would prolly help them from mucking up in the rain. They’ll still be fine for a day or two but as it dries the pan tension will climb.

I’ve got a 10 on block of paraffin wax and was planning to make some wax dirt which would help a lot. Dirt has never got dry enough to make it up.

· Registered
5,138 Posts
And just because a trap comes nitelatched don't mean crap.
A good latch will let the trap fire with less than a 1/16" of pan travel. If your going to use peat you will have to tuneup your traps.
I'm still learning the terminology of the trap parts. Fun learning the nuances. One reason I went with the MB 550's was their claim to be "as close to ready out of the box" compared to most traps. I actually did well with them out of the box. I just think that as they collected a little rust and dirt with use the pan tension crept upwards. I was also finding smaller tracks on the pan that weren't triggering the trap. I do think the length of the tip of the dog beyond the notch is a little long and should be trimmed to reduce that pan travel and will work on that.

I honestly think my traps are tuned pretty good as they are. My biggest obstacle is setting them up to tolerate some rain. I catch well with new sets that haven't been rained on. The rain kills my sets.

Going to get some peat moss at lunch today.

1 - 17 of 120 Posts