Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a bunch of the past fishing reports for the white river (Lock 1), and many times catalapa worms come up. Does anyone know where to buy these little worms locally, or is mail order my only option?
f909

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,582 Posts
I've read a bunch of the past fishing reports for the white river (Lock 1), and many times catalapa worms come up. Does anyone know where to buy these little worms locally, or is mail order my only option?
f909
Why don't ya just plant a catalpa tree. Or better yet, find one in your neck of the woods:up:

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
The house next door to us is a rental, and I'm mowing the yard while they're remodeling. They have a nice, big catawba tree in the back yard, and the owner gave me dibs on any worms that may appear on it :thumb: There are quite a few in my 'hood, but everywhere I've stopped and asked they keep 'em. I'll keep trying though!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Why don't ya just plant a catalpa tree. Or better yet, find one in your neck of the woods:up:
+1 I have planted several and have several around located. They make great bait for Channel Cats. If you plant them they are easy to grow. As they can get too tall we top them every 2 or 3 winters. Best bet is to plant Umbrella Catalpa Trees which grow bushy and short.:thumb:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I grew up loving to fish for bream and catfish with catalpa worms. I had even planted three trees in the yard of the home where I lived as a child and teenager. Then, the city began spraying a pyrethrin based poison to eradicate the mosquitoes. It wasn't too hard on the worms at first. Then, after a few years of just using the trucks, we ended up with the supplemental spraying done about once a month for the summer by an airplane. We had a couple of crops of worms that first year of airplane application. The first made it, the second burned on the trees. The following year, the first crop burned on the trees. Then, the second crop burned in the eggs. We have not had any catalpa worms in my area since then. So, I lament the day that we lost the catalpas. They are wonderful baits and will catch just about anything that swims. Plus, they are tough. You can usually catch two or three big bluegills with the back half and four or five with the head end. (P.S. The sign reads: SEND WORMS, PLEASE!)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
do ya'll freeze the worms that what my papaw used to do.
I perfer to keep them in the ice box. Shhhh , don't tell the little woman. LOL
The worms are best fresh , but can be frozen. I use fresh and they will keep for a week or two at just above freezing. I use so many they seldom get frozen and the fish can tell the difference.
Just ask M1Tommy how well they work.:up:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.