Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Your bullets were too hot in your last batch. You can break them apart and run them through a sizer to salvage. They won't be pretty but will work for plinking. Preheating helps but I use a laser heat thermometer and make sure the temps are below 130. If it's hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold the bullet, the powder is going to cake to it.
The goal is to get a light even coat of powder. Static electricity is the binding agent that clings the powder to the bullet until cured. Use a round plastic bowl to apply powder coat. (That will assist in generating the static)
I've found that the powder will range from very easy to stubborn to work with, depending on color and brand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone tried cast bullets in a 300 Blackout? I have a Ruger American, the magazine and trigger are terrible but the fast twist barrel lends itself to shooting heavy cast bullets well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your bullets were too hot in your last batch. You can break them apart and run them through a sizer to salvage. They won't be pretty but will work for plinking. Preheating helps but I use a laser heat thermometer and make sure the temps are below 130. If it's hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold the bullet, the powder is going to cake to it.
The goal is to get a light even coat of powder. Static electricity is the binding agent that clings the powder to the bullet until cured. Use a round plastic bowl to apply powder coat. (That will assist in generating the static)
I've found that the powder will range from very easy to stubborn to work with, depending on color and brand.
Thanks for posting this. I tried powder coating my cast boolits and got the same results as Have Gun, so I need to try heating them up first.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I tried powder coating my cast boolits and got the same results as Have Gun, so I need to try heating them up first.
Slow down a minute. Warming them up to about 120 will help. It's easy to overheat them and ending up with a big pile of goo.
Most of the vids you see on powder coating bullets will mention the importance of the powder and it's willingness to coat. That can't be stressed enough. The HF powder is really difficult to coat. I've got some powders that easily coat with a shake and bake application. Others are so difficult that I sprinkle it as a top coat over other colors prior to baking.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
As a follow up to those having issues with getting powder coat to stick, I seen where folks were putting airsoft pellets in the bowl with the powder and bullets. (It's supposed to increase the static charge during the 'shake'.). I have tried it and I do see an improvement in how the bullets coat. The only down side is that you have to pour the coated batch in a sifter sized to catch the bullets but not the pellets. Use plenty in the powder.
And a round bowl does better for me than a square one for whatever reason.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm trying a tumble coating again and waiting on the finale results. As I was sitting here something occurred to me. I have already sized my bullets with a push through die and I lube with water and murphy's oil soap. I rinse them off when done but maybe my bullets are contaminated with residue?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
As per yet another utube video I preheated my bullets at 140 for exactly 4 minutes by my watch. When I preheated before I followed someone else's utube and had the preheat too hot causing massive clumping and gobs of paint.

Looked for some airsoft bb's but wmart was out. I'm guessing it is because of the ammo shortage.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Got a chance to try out a new color. Looks like it's going to work. It coats pretty good but I went with two coats in order to bring out the color and ad to the thickness of the coat. It's called copper penny.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Went to wmart to get some airsoft pellets only to find out they no longer carry them. Wonder if it is another way they feel they can curb gun violence?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts