Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it is cool I thought today would be a good day to cast a batch of my new bullets that I'm shooting in my .38 as seen in "Test Bullets" in an earlier thread.

Guys if you don't cast don't let it scare you. I know you can buy commercial bullets but if you are just punching paper casting is a big time money saver. Of course all of this also depends on having powder and primers on hand or available. Best advice I can give is find a casting mentor to shorten the learning curve and start saving money while at the same time shooting way more and often.

Pretty basic set up:

Pot, mold and lead

Pour molten lead into mold and wait about 3-4 seconds to get bullets

In a very short time I cast 500 bullets

These raw bullets will need to be coated with a lube. Some prefer baking bullets coated with powder paint but for blammo ammo I go with a simple tumble lube made from scratch called 45-45-10 lube. After the coating of your choice has been applied you now have some cheap blammo ammo of your own.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you normally use for lead? Do wheel weights work ok for lead?
For pistol under 1000fps I use scrap lead. Finding lead wheel weights (WW) is getting harder to find. Tire shops once begged folks to take it but that isn't the case anymore. Another problem with ww is a big portion of it is no longer made from lead. A quick way to test if it is lead is to take a pair of side cutters and try to nip the edge of the ww. It it cuts it is more than likely lead but if it is anything else you usually can't put a scratch on it.

For target rifle I use a ww/scrap mix. For hunting I use a 50:50 mix of pure lead and ww.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I powder coat my own lead fishing lures so I wanted to try my hand at powder coating a few of these bullets. I have always used a tumble lube of 45-45-10 for large batches of pistol bullets so I wanted to give it a try and learn something new. The results were not to my satisfaction.

This 1st pick is using a dry powder paint and about 25% came out halfway decent but the other 75% came out terrible.

Next I tried a small batch with a wet powder paint and I'm not impressed with it either.

I've been casting my own handgun and rifle bullets for over 6 years now and have that down pat but powder coating is something I'd really like to learn so I can have another option. I'm not giving up yet. I guess it's just like anything else there is a learning curve and I don't know of anyone near me that powder coats. I'll keep on trying. The great thing about casting is if there is a mistake or it is simple enough to throw the mistake back into a smelter and start over.

·
Registered
528 Posts
interested in this. We reload, and I am interested in getting a firearm to stock up ammo on... end of times kinda thing. question is: what would be a good keep forever rifle that you can cast usable hunting rounds for?
I am thinking a fast shooter would be out of the question... is 30-30 too fast? what others may work?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have been hunting with my own cast bullets for I believe 5 or 6 years now. I hunt with cast out of my 30.30 and 30.06. In fact I use the same bullet. Here are a few of the deer I've killed using my cast bullets. With the 30.06 I'm comfortable out to 200 yards and 100 with the 30.30 but if at all possible I try to keep my shots at less than 100 yards if possible with either rifle.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I'm new to powder coating and have crawled up from the bottom of the learning curve some. Lots of vids on youtube that are both educational and misleading. The wet method isn't for me. There are certain colors and brands that are better at coating than others. Some need two coats to get the desired effect. Others will coat nicely the first time. I've seen where folks are pushing coated cast bullets to about 2800fps with no leading issues which opens up a whole new niche. Here's some of my recent work.

·
Administrator
77,681 Posts
interested in this. We reload, and I am interested in getting a firearm to stock up ammo on... end of times kinda thing. question is: what would be a good keep forever rifle that you can cast usable hunting rounds for?
I am thinking a fast shooter would be out of the question... is 30-30 too fast? what others may work?
In lever guns, a 30/30, 35 Rem or 45/70 would be easy to cast for and kill anything you’ll probably hunt. Add a bolt gun and 308 and 30/06 would do you well.

·
Premium Member
19,272 Posts
Thanks for posting this HGWT!

There is great advice here for anyone wanting to get started casting. I want to also throw out there that with a 30 cal round ball mold, one can build some dandy buckshot loads. I have also built some serviceable "pumpkin-ball loads" using a .410 round ball mold out of a 410 single shot. You end up with two 96g rb coming out of a 410 shooting minute of deer at 30 yards. These are nothing exotic or fast, but they will kill a deer for sure.

Casting lead is just fun in general. For me it is actually kind of relaxing and I just forget about the world for a bit when the Galena is flowing.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Tried powder coating a few bullets again today but the paint came out way to thick. They looked good but I also had about 1/4 of them stuck together. I guess I could stand them up next time and see how that goes. I really like tumble lubing more and more after failing at pc'ing but I really want to get this PC stuff down so I can have another tool in the toolbox.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tried powder coating a few bullets again today but the paint came out way to thick. They looked good but I also had about 1/4 of them stuck together. I guess I could stand them up next time and see how that goes. I really like tumble lubing more and more after failing at pc'ing but I really want to get this PC stuff down so I can have another tool in the toolbox.

View attachment 306656
Cast bullets can be almost as accurate as jacketed bullets, it just takes a little more time to find the right combination. I have 308, 30/30, 30/40, 30/06, 300 BO, and 45/70 that will all shoot around a minute of angle at 100yds with the right combination. Here's a target shot prone with a sling and scope, 10 shots at 100yds and all my wobble area holding the rifle ( it will do lots better from a rest)

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
In lever guns, a 30/30, 35 Rem or 45/70 would be easy to cast for and kill anything you’ll probably hunt. Add a bolt gun and 308 and 30/06 would do you well.
I think I’m gonna look for one of the scout type rifles in 308, for the shtf type scenarios. We reload, and adding casting to that will be great.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts

View attachment 306656
Is that a wet batch method?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cast bullets can be almost as accurate as jacketed bullets, it just takes a little more time to find the right combination. I have 308, 30/30, 30/40, 30/06, 300 BO, and 45/70 that will all shoot around a minute of angle at 100yds with the right combination. Here's a target shot prone with a sling and scope, 10 shots at 100yds and all my wobble area holding the rifle ( it will do lots better from a rest)
Great shooting! I've been shooting cast for a few years and agree accuracy can be spot on. Here's a couple of 100 yard groups with my 30.06

group opt.jpg

I do some long to me range shooting with cast too.

Flying wheel weights | Arkansas Hunting

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you preheating the bullets before powder coating?
The first time I did not preheat and turned out as seen in the first pic. I thought preheating might be the problem so I did preheat on the pic with the bullets in the bowl but coating was way to thick. I can powder coat a jig head so easy. Just hold by hook while still hot and a quick swish through the powder is all it takes. Wish I could do the same with a bullet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts