Arkansas Hunting banner

Cast bullet powder

407 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  newt 
#1 ·
Well talking about buying powder got me to thinking about the future of my reloading adventure.

Here a while back a very, very generous member gave me some casting equipment. I have yet to use any, but after the new year I have set planned to get the necessary equipment to cast and load for my 30-30 and 30-06.

After I start with cast bullets, I doubt I will go back much to jacketed ones except for special occasions. I am not a mass round producer, but a guy who likes to spend hours meticulously making up just a few rounds and then shooting them.

So my mind is thinking I might want to lean more toward a good cast bullet powder to consider buying in bulk. So along with that thought I had one that wondered if there was a good "all purpose" powder that some have tried and liked for both the 30-30 and 30-06 in cast loads. I am not too concerned with the jacketed ones, because the amount I will likely shoot of them will not dictate buying more than a pound at a time.

Any thoughts on a good starting powder that could be a dual purpose?

#3 ·
I've heard it's a go-to in the 30-30, but I've not seen much with it on the 30-06 side. Not that I am opposed to it though. I would love to hear more on it.

Looked a little more last night and varget kept popping up. Anyone use it for both calibers for cast?

#5 ·
Will do. I was thinking I might should visit some of those sites to get more info anyways. That site, along with a few others, has always popped up when doing searches.

I did do some research, and it does seem that the 3031 is a definite runner amongst the 30-06 cast crowd. But along with all other things, its really about what performs well in a particular rifle with a particular projectile.

It might come down to just choosing a few powders and buying just a pound of each and determining from that.

#10 ·
Another one you might check out too is Accurate 5744 powder. Their manual has several cast bullet loads in it for the 30-30 and 30-06. Although I don't use it anymore it is good powder.
Thanks for the info. I just checked out there web site and load data pdf. I have to admit that they have the most "factory" load data I have found for a given caliber without purchasing a reload manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.