Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi
9,131 Posts
Holiday Island has always had an abundance of deer. And in the last couple years I've heard alot of stories of bears in that country.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
I'm sure there's tons of deer in there.
I wouldnt be surprised if there was some bears, but I doubt there's a ton. I know there was young bear in Lost Bridge Village last summer, and that's not very far away. However, word travels fast and rumors grow in a retirement village. You'd have thought Lost Bridge was infested if you talked to the right old timer over there last year.
There is plenty of rough country over there, and it's not but a hop, skip, and a jump from where there are plenty of bears. I guess there's only one way to find out.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have hunted the lost bridge core area and have found some large beds in some leaves and some black hairs. I would love to shoot a bear.:up:
They have a bear trap set up in Bentonville behind Sam Walton's house. You always hear of bears eating out of the bird feeders in Bella Vista.:biggrin:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I checked the agfc bear harvest report and there has only been 1 bear killed and checked in Benton county in about the last 10 years, I live out by Beaver and thought about setting up a bait site. I thought there would be a few more bears tagged in this county with all thw hunting around the lake and Hobbs. My parents live in Holiday Island and they have never mentioned any problems with bears, the deer are a nusance

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
Of all the time I've spent on Hobbs, I've only seen bear sign twice. I did some work out there this winter, and folks working for the park tell me that they have put out baits, etc and they found no bears.
I live in BV, and my neighbor tells me one was trapped by our houses a couple years before I moved there. One was trapped by my parents house on the E city limits of Rogers years ago, and I've heard of several bears spotted right there over the years.
You dont have to go much further E or S to be in bonafide bear country, but I think there are very few bears that permanently reside in Benton Co. Bears have a big range, and most of the sitings happen in the summer when the youngsters are getting kicked off on their own.
I keep hoping I'll bump into one though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I heard stories of a woman about 10 years ago that had a sow and cubs eating dog food off her back porch, she lived close to the Lowell water treatment plant. I cannot confirm this though. In 1981, when I was about 6 years old, a neighbor of ours had problems with a bear and with the help of some dogs they killed it in the Nelson hollow area of Beaver lake that is the only confirmed sighting that I know of in Benton county, I'm sure they pass thru and it seems like there would be a few in the Hobbs area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.