Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without a Concealed Carry permit...

Is it legal for me to have a loaded hand gun in my truck?

Is it legal for me to have a loaded hand gun in my boat?

Is it legal for me to have a loaded hand gun in my house?

Is it legal for me to have a loaded hand gun in the woods if there isn't an open gun season?

What's the minimum lenth for a barrell to deer hunt with?

It's gonna be a 2 weeks before I can take the Conclealed Carry test and longer before I get it in the mail and I was just wanting to make sure on a couple things.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't have my concealed carry but I would say no to the truck, no to the boat, ABSOLUTELY yes to the home, no to the woods unless that weapon is legal for that season, and I'm pretty sure your pistol barrel must be at least 4 inches to be legal for hunting as long as it is not rimfire.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I'd answer as follows.
1. Probably, as long as you can infer (if asked) that you are on a "journey" outside of your normal haunts.... and then only dependant on what part of the state you are in.
2. Same-same for a boat.... and what you are doing.
3. Without any doubt!!!
4. I wouldn't risk it unless there is an open "modern gun" season. Or if it is a small caliber (i.e. .22) outside of hunting seasons (other than small game of course).
5. 4" minimum.

Now.. the disclaimers..... This is for reference purposes only.. consult your local prosecuting attorney's office to clarfiy their opinion for that area!! Speak to the local AGFC W.O. in reference to the boat issue. Arkansas has now adopted "Castle Doctrine" laws that are specific, but much like the Holy Bible; are interpreted differently from one location to the next and from one judge to the next. Most anyone can "justify" carrying a .22 while kicking around in the woods... just damned tough to explain a 6" barreled, scoped revolver if not in "bear" country agian unlewss it is a decent deuce-deuce!!! And last but not least... just because a gun is legal for deer hunting does not make it "acceptable" from place to place... such as a TEC-9, Mini-UZI pistol etc. etc. Not that you CAN'T hunt with it.. and do so legally... but you may run across less than compassionate WO's, 5/0's and Judges!!

These are only my opinons!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Jerry, these are all good questions, and one of the reasons I have a carry permit so I don't have to worry about these issues. I agree with Snyde for the most part; 1 & 2 could be up for interpretation by any LEO that you encounter.

Untill you get the permit in hand, I'd unload and store ammo and gun in separate compartments. Sorta defeats the purpose of carrying said wapon in the first place, though.

·
Registered
11,271 Posts
I do have a permit and have done some research and talked to attorneys about these issues. In your truck as long as you aren't drinking or have a joint in the ashtray or obviously committing a crime refuse search. And the officer won't see your gun. In a boat you would be checked by a warden, and since they aren't aware that the 4 th amendment bars them from warrantless searches. You would possibly be caught and have to endure a legal battle. Same for in the woods. "The Right to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not be Infringed." Seems simple but it isn't. The permit is the way to go then you don't have the concerns.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I've been putting off getting my permit, and always have a shotgun behind my truck seat, and carry my pistol when I'm at the river, but had a deal come up and I'm gonna start carrying a side arm all the time...I signed up to take the course @ Don's in NLR, but I'll be 2 weeks before they have an opening, and then 6 weeks to 6 months to get the permit in the mail.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Hey Jerry I am not sure when Robert has his next class but you might check with him. Took my wife and I about 3 weeks to get our permits once we sent them in.

Robert Hamm 501-279-7840

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tony,

Thanks for the name & number. I'll give him a shout.

Jerry Dean/UNCE,

Sir...I can honestly say that you have one of the coolest names I've ever heard.:thumb:

I use the name Freddy Beavers when I go clubbin' by the way...:biggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.