Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
I can't make up my mind on which gun to buy.
25-06
257 weatherby magnum
270 wsm

What do yall think would be the pros and cons of each?
I plan on shooting up to 300 yards. If I am feeling lucky 400 yards.

·
Grand Member
15,405 Posts
Of the 3 you listed I'd pick the 25/06. I've got a Tikka T3 in 25/06 that I really like. The reasons I'd pick it over the other 2 you mentioned would be, 25/06 will have the least recoil of the three, it'll have the most choices of factory loads and factory loads for a 25/06 should be the cheapest of the three. Any of them would be a good pick, the 257 Weatherby magnum would shoot a little faster and flatter, but not that much and Weatherby shells are $$$$$. the 270 WSM has a good following, but I just can't get that thrilled with any of the new short magnums, if I were to get a270, I'd stick with the old standard the 270 Win. But if everyone liked the same thing there'd only be one flavor of ice cream.:up:

·
Registered
875 Posts
25-06 is a good shooter, 257 wby is a good shooter I prefer the 257 over the three because of the performance it's a real screamer. but they all are fine rounds for deer.
Both the 25-06 and The weatherby are .257 cal. The weatherby out performs the '06 in every way. Especially out to 300-400 yrds as he was wanting to use it for. I Don't know how long the WSM's will be around. But the .270 is an excellent round. The WSM and Weatherby ammunition is much more expensive than the '06. Me the '06 is the ticket to 250 yards and my 7mm Mag as far as I dare shoot for deer.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
If those were my only choices...I'd go with the 25/06........it is an excellent round......

but I'm old school..........for me, the 30/06 and 308 are the way to go...they will take anything on the North American continent.........and suit the hunting I do just fine.......

Not knocking any of them or any of the new rounds/powerhouse rigs....just was raised on the old '06 and it'll do anything I need it too!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I love my 257 weatherby, very light recoil. I am no gun expert, it is a 300 necked down to 25 cal, something about the necked down reduces the recoil. The shell are kinda high, but I do not take it out plincking. Here is a link, you will have to copy and paste it, like I said the shells are high but I like to be different.http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/ST257weatherbymagnum_031706/index.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.