Can't believe it!!!

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by camron, Jan 4, 2008.

1. camron

camron Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

I stopped at Mac's minnows and more in Benton to buy some gas this evening. It's the last gas station before you leave town. When I went in to prepay 90 freakin' dollars in gas, my reciept was for $92.70. I asked what the additional charge was for and I was informed that the owner adds a sucharge to all debit and credit card uses. I asked ever so politely"Are you S@#ing me?!?" I was assured that I had indeed heard correctly and that my "selective hearing" was not acting up. So essentially I paid 3.06 per gallon instead of the 2.99 advertised price. Is this legal? I realize that companies are charged a surchage to utilize credit and debit cards, but I've never had a company blatantly charge you for it! Does anyone know who I can contact to see if this is legal? I only authorized the $90.

2. Huntduck

Huntduck Active Member

Look like u paid the charge the CC charges them

3. camron

That's exactly what it was! Don't they make enough off the gas?

4. Huntduck

Huntduck Active Member

Next time you go to McDonalds in the drive thru--look at your reciept-there s a take out charge on it:censored:

5. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator<br>Bowhunting<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

Well gas is 3.09 at our place for reg now. Looks like you got a good deal. :smack:

6. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I know there is quite a few places in Conway that charges for debit card use if it below a certain amount....OH YEAH that amount is well under 90 bucks, it's usually any purchase under $5.00.

7. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    I was in private retail many years ago, and if I remember right, you can give a discount for cash, but I don't think you can add a credit card surcharge. In all actuality, it's the same price both ways, but I don't think both are legal. In other words, they can charge 306.9/gal and give a 2% discount for cash, but I don't think they can charge 299.9/gal and add the CC charge. That's been 20+ years ago...

I bet a call to the AG's office in LR on Monday would get you an answer.

8. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

:thumb: I agree....the terrorist running that station has to be from the middle east!:mad:

9. BassnBucks

BassnBucks Well-Known Member

Looked at mine and they are not charging extra here yet, but I can see it coming.

10. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

That's a tax, not going to the resturant.

11. camron

Thanks

I'll contact the AG Monday, then I'll take my reply over there in person if it's in my favor.

12. Loc-on

Loc-on Well-Known Member

I am not sure about being against the law, but I know that Visa/Mastercard will not allow merchants that accept their cards to charge customer for using them. I don't know what kind of card you used but if it was either of those you may get further by calling the card company than the AG.

13. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    As I said above, it's been 20+ years since I was in retail. This might be what I was remembering instead of it being against the law. Might do well to contact the AG and the CC company.

If you would, let us know whatever you find out. That'll help the rest of us if we run into this situation.

14. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

Sounds like a case of .........BOHICA........ and he had ya bent over!!!

never heard of this, but nothing suprises me anymore!!

15. ozark outdoorsman

ozark outdoorsman Account Suspended

We were in Eureka Springs in November this year and stopped to get gas, there was no sign but after I had pumped about $10.00 in gas I noticed it was .03 higher than advertised, so I shut it off and went inside. When I asked the clerk, she said any credit card was charged extra. I expalined that it was not a credit card, but a debit card. And I was polite too, Until the other male clerk said "well its got a MasterCard logo on it so that makes it a credit card, but we'll gladly accept a check". Then he asked if I could write a check. I told him I don't do business with people like that and drove a few blocks down and bought it elsewhere.

16. yjjeeper

yjjeeper Well-Known Member

lost
    IMHO if they can't afford to pay the fees themselves they don't need to take plastic!!!

All they are doing is making people who are already mad about gas prices madder.

17. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

on a slightly different note, i have noticed that at certain gas stations, if i use my visa, the pump will shut off when it hits $50. if my truck is not full i will have to go through the whole process again to finish filling up. it does not do it at every station i go to though. anyone else had this happen?

18. 05cards

05cards Well-Known Member

Believe it or not most stations at the retail level make between .06 and .10 per gallon. If you are in a competetive area you could end up selling for less or even below cost. Most of the credit cards charge 3% on purchases. If you sell a gallon at 3.00 and are charged 3% and are only making .06 you just paid .03 to sell that gallon. Anyone want a convience store?

19. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Well-Known Member

hawgpharm,
    different credit cards have a limit on what you can charge to your card for gas. Sometimes on the pumps they'll post the limit on different cards. I think it's a security thing. Like your card gets stolen and several will go to one station and fill up several different tanks.

20. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Well-Known Member

Hawg,
    Many of the credit cards have a limit on what you can buy for gas. I think it's a security measure. Say, someone steals your card and passes it around at a pump. I've seen pumps with the limits posted for the different cc companies. My cc use to be $50 but they have since raised it to $100. I guess before long they'll need another hike to $200 maybe even $1000!:smack: