Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I've owned and operated several canoes, but I've never had one I'd consider stable enough to cap off 3 1/2" mags in. A piroque (pronounced Pee-Row, I bet I didn't spell that right) might would be more stable if you built it wide enough. Maybe a conoe with outriggers? :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,579 Posts
My duck hunting buddy has a sport canoe that we hunt out of alot. It has a band of foam around the sides that prevent it from tipping. As clumsy as I am I don't stand up in it but my hunting buddy does. Both of us can sit on the same side and hang our feet over the side while hunting out of it and it doesn't turn over. He uses a trolling motor to propel it through the woods. We may get outrun in a WMA but we can get back to places others can't.

· Registered
14,538 Posts
I used a canoe on a duck hunt last year...
My buddy had a hole along the AR river that was inside an island. It was a tough walk through cattails, etc to get to his spot, but the end of the hole fed back into the river.
We pulled the canoe across the river channel behind his boat. That was tricky. Couldnt really go more than 5mph, and I dont think I'd try it if the wind was up.
We parked the boat and loaded up the canoe. We only had to carry it about 10 yds. Then we easily paddled across to my buddy's spot. It worked pretty well. We didnt hunt out of the canoe. We did actually jump shoot a duck on the way out, and the canoe didnt tip. Not very good to shoot out of though. Can only shoot to the left side (right handed).

· Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
I use mine some, mainly to get to other places. However, I do use it float hunting some creeks and stuff around here too. It becomes a 2 person game though, one paddling and hugging the bank around bends and the front man shooting. It is the back paddler's responsilbility to swing the canoe into the best position for a shot and to stabilize the canoe when needed. After a few shots, switch shooter/paddler and keep floating...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.