Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a wild hog last week with my bow. While tracking had another hog bluff charge me scaring the shisnick out of me, he turned and hauled butt the other way. Back on the blood trail heard a lot of noise and splashing, looked over and saw around 30 or so hogs……big and little about 70 yards away.

This area never had hogs until last year that I’m aware of when a hunting buddy seen two. Now the entire lowland area and all the wet areas are hog wallows covered up in pig tracks.

I’ve looked and read the regulations on hunting equipment and found nothing about caring a bow and a 22 mag to the stand. I would like to shoot all the pigs I can in the head with the .22 mag (rim fire) while bow hunting. I love to bow hunt but hate to loose another $22 for the damage to my arrow and broad head.

Can you carry and or hunt with two weapons?

AND IF YES OR NO Where is it in writing, because word of mouth don't mean squat in this day and age.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The only way you can carry a firearm with you during bow season is if you have a conceal carry permit. That was only passed this year. It says you may hunt other animals in season, but must be hunted with the weapon allowed for the season you are hunting. Give me a little time and I will try to post those for you. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
No you can't carry two weapons except like was said if you have a concealed carry permit. I been thinking about obtaining one for that reason. I had the same question for fall turkey hunting. I wanted to carry my bow and my shotgun and called and talked to AGFC about it a couple years back. I was told I could leave one of the other in the truck but could not take them both to the woods at same time.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You could just take SEVERAL of you friends out there BParsons. I'm sure we errr they could help you get a handle on them hogs!:whistle:
But seriously you could take a friend along and they could carry the other choice in shooting appliance. Not sure if this is actually legal here but i see em do it on the hunting shows all the time.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
During the deer modern gun or muzzle loader hunt, you can possess a legal bow along with the firearm.

I have often done this ...and have discussed it with Wildlife Officers.

Also legal when bear hunting during season for gun (having both bow and gun).

Also legal for members of deer camps that are enrolled in the Deer Management Assistance Program that have been issued Unrestricted Weapon Doe Permits.

·
Administrator
41,133 Posts
I think the problem with carrying two weapons is during bow season.

Like CP said, if gun season is open you can carry a bow and a gun but the way I understand it if only bow season is open you can only carry a bow. Except for the concealed weapon part.

·
Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2
6,171 Posts
I've been keping a 20 guage in my truck when I go hunting because I have some hog traps set. I'm not gonna break all my good arrows trying to kill hogs in the trap so when I get through hunting, I go put the bow in the truck and get the gun. The other day I shot a hog with my bow. I knew I put a bad hit on it, and it was a decent sized boar, so I went and got the 20guage for the blood trailing adventure. It was one of them hands and new crawling through briars kinda deals, and I didn't want to come face to face with a mad wounded boar in a thicket where I wouldn't have even been able to draw my bow.

As far as taking both weapons while you're hunting, I'd say don't do it. Leave the gun in the truck.

·
Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner
622 Posts
dont do it

it was explained to me by game and fish that even with a concealed carry permit unless you threatend by another ARMED HUMAN you cant use it at all. no snakes it is illeagal. and no squirrells. etc. now this is on public land mind you, wma's etc... the game and fish comision basically said the best thing i could do until gun season to not complicate things is to keep it in the car or truck. that is my advise

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where are you hunting if you don't mind me asking, just wondering where all the hogs are at.
I heard from another hunter that talk to and adjacent land owner of this WDA that the Game and Fish had imported about 100 hogs 2 years ago to this area…….talk about a stupid idea…..bringing in some critters that’s not native to this area, can spread diseases, and directly competes with the deer. The swampy bottom areas that I love to hunt are now overrun with these hogs that frankly scare the hell out of me walking through the thick cover at dusk and dawn (dark) armed with a flashlight, carrying my stand and bow going to where I want to hunt. These pigs are very territorial and protective of their own kind.

Back to answer your question: PM me If you would like to know the location of the critters; around the swamps and look for all the wallows and tracks….. If you start to smell a horrible stench you will be downwind of hogs within 50 yards so watch out. There is one place you don’t have to walk no more than 100 yards to find them.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Straight from the regulations.....

08.03 POSSESSION OF FIREARMS WHILE ARCHERY AND CROSSBOW

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]08-08 [/FONT]
[/FONT]HUNTING PROHIBITED[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]. It shall be unlawful to have any firearms in the immediate possession while hunting bear, deer or turkey with archery tackle. [/FONT][/FONT]​

EXCEPTIONS:

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial](1) Legal firearms when and where a regular gun or muzzle-loading deer season is open.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial](2) Legal firearms when and where bear season is open. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial](3) Holders of a valid state-issued concealed handgun license recognized and honored by the State of Arkansas in accordance with Arkansas Code Title 5, Chapter 73, Subchapter 3, may possess the handgun covered by the license, except in places where otherwise prohibited under federal, state or local law or where disallowed by a landowner in accordance with applicable law. Nothing in this exception is intended to supersede or limit the regulations of any federal, state or local authorities that prohibit the possession of concealed handguns on their property, including, but not limited to, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the U.S. Forest Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the National Park Service[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]. [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial](4) Members of deer camps that are enrolled in the Deer Management Assistance Program that have been issued Unrestricted Weapon Doe Permits[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]. [/FONT][/FONT]

PENALTY[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]: $100.00 to $1,000.00. [/FONT][/FONT]​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take about five of your buddys one day durning rifle season, all of you armed with shotguns loaded to the gills with buckshot and ever heard of hogs you see yall unload on them my not kill them right there but will kill some on the spot and others will die later. if you dont start to do something soon it will be to late. They reproduce way to quick. Soon they will run the deer out. On top of that there are tons of people that you can get to come in there and hunt them with dogs. Good luck your going to need it to get them hogs killed out

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks CP, I looked all over for this and just wasn't looking in the right place.

Now I can do this.......:smack:

P.S. This is public land so I'm just going to have to carry my .22 Mag rifle and do some "squirrel hunting" in a hog infested area to thin them out.....head shoot them and drop them in their tracks.:up:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I heard from another hunter that talk to and adjacent land owner of this WDA that the Game and Fish had imported about 100 hogs 2 years ago to this area…….talk about a stupid idea…..bringing in some critters that’s not native to this area, can spread diseases, and directly competes with the deer. The swampy bottom areas that I love to hunt are now overrun with these hogs that frankly scare the hell out of me walking through the thick cover at dusk and dawn (dark) armed with a flashlight, carrying my stand and bow going to where I want to hunt. These pigs are very territorial and protective of their own kind.

Back to answer your question: PM me If you would like to know the location of the critters; around the swamps and look for all the wallows and tracks….. If you start to smell a horrible stench you will be downwind of hogs within 50 yards so watch out. There is one place you don’t have to walk no more than 100 yards to find them.
First off I seriously doubt the hogs were turned loose by AGFC, especially since they want them removed. I take it your hunting U of A Pine Tree since you mention WDA.
If you are up my way which is Big Lake WMA I difintiely know it was not the AGFC that turned them loose in that area couple of years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.