Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why, but i've never really been much into pistols or revolvers(just shotguns and rifles), recently got a Wrangler and it's gotten me hooked. It's got me thinking i'd like to try more small game hunting with one and I'd like to have adjustable sights. Anyway, anything to look for or stay away from concerning Single Sixes? Price ranges for a used one? Just any info in general. appreciated.
Thanks in advance

· Registered
821 Posts
Excellent guns, its a Ruger so its built like a tank. I've had mine for 30 years, thousands of rounds through it. Accuracy is great. Prices range from $300-$700 depending on condition/configuration. Mine has been used and abused, re-blued twice and had the grips replaced once (I'm rough on stuff...) and is still one of my favorite/most accurate guns to shoot. I like the Wranglers but the single six is head and shoulders above in quality.

· Registered
1,913 Posts
They’re well-made. Nothing in particular to look out for that would be specific to the model. Just the standard revolver check: do the chambers line up with the barrel and lock up good, and is there excess play in the front-to-back movement of the cylinder/ excess gap between cylinder and barrel.
Some will have a .22WMR cylinder in addition to the .22 cylinder.
I can’t help much on a price estimate. Gun prices seem to be all over the place.

· Registered
54 Posts
Not sure why, but i've never really been much into pistols or revolvers(just shotguns and rifles), recently got a Wrangler and it's gotten me hooked. It's got me thinking i'd like to try more small game hunting with one and I'd like to have adjustable sights. Anyway, anything to look for or stay away from concerning Single Sixes? Price ranges for a used one? Just any info in general. appreciated.
Thanks in advance
We also love the Ruger Single Six, Super and Hunter version. Another couple of things to look for if you buy used is make sure the Wind-age screw hole is not scared up. We've seen many Ruger's where the prevouis owner used too big a screw driver and gouged it up. Also note that unlike the Hertiage Revolvers. The Magnum Cylinder is Matched to the gun. It will have at least three digits of the guns serial number on the face of the Magnum cylinder. Good luck.
Revolver Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

· Registered
11,978 Posts
I've got a stainless Single Six with the 22 lr and magnum cylinder. It's a great revolver and is accurate but I can shoot my Mark II with a 5 1/2 inch bull barrel much better. JMO
I’ve also got a 5 1/2 Bull barrel Mark II but seem to shoot my single 6 as well or better.
I feel the longer sight plane of the 9.5” barrel helps with my accurate with the single six.

· Registered
3,980 Posts
I guess it's just me but I can tell the difference in lock time on a pistol. It seems like it takes forever for a single action for the hammer too drop. A da revolver fired single action is better but an auto with a good trigger, like Goldilocks, is best of all. Again JMO. 👍

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I found one exactly like what i was looking for right away. I called a gun store and the first place I called, they told me they had just gotten one in the day before on a trade. So I thought if I found one that easy, I'd call around several places. All the other places I called said they don't come in to often and haven't had any in in awhile. For some reason, even the new ones are kind of hard to come across, but you can get a new Wrangler all day long? So I figured I'd better go look at the one place that had one. Ended up with a 5.5 inch stainless steel, wood grip convertible. The LR had never been shot and the magnum was supposedly only shot a few times. Ran the serial number on it and shows to have been shipped in 2021, so it really is like new and got it for $300 off the new msrp.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks in advance
Man those single actions are addictive!
Rugers are awesome and built like tanks.
I’ve had a lot of Pietta, Taylor and Son etc imports.
The imports are a little cheaper, however I’ve had some problems with them all having to send them back multiple times for repair.

· Registered
110 Posts
You’ll be happy with your single six! I picked up a 7.5” stainless convertible for $300 years ago with lots of handling marks in it. It’s being used for working ranch varmint control so I really didn’t mind the “scars.” I put a set of William’s Fire Sights on it and got a cheap Uncle Mike’s nylon snap lock holster for it. I’ve used and love it for “executing” coons that are trying to get to my chickens and ducks. I also load it with rat shot when I catch a rat snake eating my eggs or chicks.
It also helps when slaughtering my excess young drakes or roosters for dinner. It’s so much easier to pop one in the back of the head than trying to catch it to slaughter. They’re fantastic and super handy revolvers and great for teaching kids about learning sight pictures and trigger control. Enjoy it and hang onto it! If you take care of it, you’ll be able to let your grandkids and their kids enjoy it for years to come!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts