Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about bowhunting Camp Robinson a little bit (not the base, the bird field trials area around lake conway) this year since it is close to work. I am curious about how much hunting pressure is there. I have been scouting the area a little and it seems to be a fairly large place, but every turn brings the exact same thing (flat field with spaced out post oak). Just curious if anyone has any advice or knows for things to watch for. :head:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
There are quite a few deer over there,and it really doesn't get a whole lot of pressure. I have seen a few decent bucks crossing roads around thru there this year. Th ecloser you get to lake conway the more woods you get into,I see deer in the field trail area all the time.If you like to spot and stalk it is an excellant place for that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
when i bowhunted there a few years ago ,me & a buddy scouted the area pretty much everyday . had 2 nice bucks spotted at pretty much same place & time . hunting season rolls around and guess what else starts , field trials for the dogs. never seen them again.try to get close to lake conway seen more sign there

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Since I Ain't Gone Be There Please Use My Spots!!!!

DARN, I GOT A SENIOR MOMENT GOING AND CAN'T REMEMBER THE ROAD NUMBERS....AHHHHHHH...ANYWAY THERE'RE 2 SPOTS I LIKE....1. IF THE WATER AINT UP...THE AREA OVER BY THE RETREIVER TRAINING AREA HAS A GOOD STAND OF OAKS B/W THE ROAD AND THE CREEK.....2. IF THE WATER IS UP.....THERE'S A LITTLE BRIDGE RIGHT BEFORE YOU GET TO THE TURN FOR THE RANGE...PARK THERE AND HIT THE NORTHERN BANK OF THE CREEK...IF YOU WALK A LONG WAYS YOU SHOULD HIT SOME THICK STUFF JUST BEFORE THE SWAMP..........THE WATER I'M TALKING BOUT IS THE CREEK BUT TOO MUCH INFO IN MY HEAD TO REMEBER THE NAME..... JUST THE WAY MY NEPHEW AND I GOT BACK THERE.....NEVER SEEN ANYONE ELSE...LOTS OF DEER RUBS/SCRAPES.....NEPHEW WIFFED A SHOT ON A 9-POINT.....SO HE SAID.....COULD HAVE BEEN A DOE....HE WAS PUMPED UP ON HIS FIRST BOW HUNT:fit::fit:....NARE ONE OF US CAN'T GET ANY DAYS OFF TO GO UP TO LITTLE ROCK TO HUNT.....HOPE U GET THAT BIG 9-POINTER:wink:

·
3,605 Posts
I am thinking about bowhunting Camp Robinson a little bit (not the base, the bird field trials area around lake conway) this year since it is close to work. I am curious about how much hunting pressure is there. I have been scouting the area a little and it seems to be a fairly large place, but every turn brings the exact same thing (flat field with spaced out post oak). Just curious if anyone has any advice or knows for things to watch for. :head:
Hunt he ridge accross the road. All of the bucks head over there when the field trials start.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had no idea that there were so many bird hunters around Arkansas... I am guessing that it must get pretty crazy there when they are bird hunting.. It seems like no matter who i talk to they say to head somewhere else when the dogs get going...lol.. I've hunted around deer dogs all of my life and when they move out the deer come back in (sometimes within minutes), guess the bird dogs just stay in one place to long..

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
I was at the WDA one day sitting in my stand up in a tree over looking a good trail with good rubs on it and about 8:30 one morning I hear a bunch of racket and look out and here comes about 15 people on horses and a bunch of dogs. They pass by me at about 50 yards and never saw me.....and I didn't see a deer either. :smack:

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
trapper,

I believe they are talking about either Hwy 89 or Clinton Road. If they are talking about Clinton Road, the land east of there is all private. I'm very familiar with Camp also and there's not really a distinct ridge that runs north & south along that part of Clinton Road, either.

There is a ridge that you can see looking south from Hwy 89 that they might be talking about. That is a dang hard ridge to hunt but it does hold a fair amount of deer, especially during gun season on Camp and regular gun season on the private around it. I busted a fat doe there several years back and it was a lot easier to drag her down hill to the highway and go back through the main gate and come all away around on the Interstate to 89 and load her up from there. That was when gas was $1 a gallon and before I figured out where the deer were closer to the main gate. I don't go past Kaplan Road anymore...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
There is a ridge that you can see looking south from Hwy 89 that they might be talking about. That is a dang hard ridge to hunt but it does hold a fair amount of deer, especially during gun season on Camp and regular gun season on the private around it. I busted a fat doe there several years back and it was a lot easier to drag her down hill to the highway and go back through the main gate and come all away around on the Interstate to 89 and load her up from there. That was when gas was $1 a gallon and before I figured out where the deer were closer to the main gate. I don't go past Kaplan Road anymore...
Now are you talking about Big Camp or the SUA....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used to hunt the demonstration area a lot. I used to work 2nd shift in conway and on my lunch break before season i would drive over and do some glassing before sunset. i would always see a nice deer or 2 right where you turn in by the shooting range! Before season they would just stand there and let you look at em all you wanted. I used to park on a little road basicly right across from the drive way to the shooting range. There are 2 draws one on each side of this little road that come up out of the creek bottom both draws were always tore up with good rubs and scrapes. There is a big thicket across the creek that i never went in cuz thats where they were bedding so i always hunted as close to the creek as i could and not have the wind swirling all evening. The big boys never messed up and came across before dark for me but i would hear em grunting and chasing does in the thicket. The deer will fill the shooting range up after dark eating the grass. There is also a sage grass field between the range and the hwy that i always saw deer in but couldnt figure out a spot for a stand all the trees were to small but a lot of deer live in that field cuz nobody ever sets foot in there. I always hunted at the front and watched everyone drive past! plus i never saw the bird hunters:whistle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.